Any PC gamers around?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Just to add: I'm holding off for the next couple of months until prices settle - I need a full system refresh in the near future, CPU and GPU although the former comes first - running an RX580 at present which suffices for 4K cities skylines :becool:

Flight Sim 2020 in 4K
Screenshots, please, I imagine that looks incredible.

FS2020 is very much the new Crysis - my now 6-year old 970 has been more than adequate for every game I've had until FS2020 came out, it is mostly playable on 1080p Ultra, but it is unusable around cities, so for safety's sake I play on Medium, only going up to Ultra to take screenshots.

Currently flying from Northern California back to Europe on a Cessna 172 - in realtime. :surrender:(Thanks, FSEconomy.)
At a dirt airstrip in Newfoundland, can't fly again until it starts getting light. Looking forward to traversing Greenland in a couple of days.
Hopefully they fix the ATC and autopilot bugs soon.

I've just built a machine out of free parts.
Asus P8Z68-V Pro motherboard.
I7-2600K, 16GB Corsair Vengeance ram, Corsair 650w psu, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, and an EVGA Geforce GTX Titan X graphics card.
It'll keep me warm this winter!
Water cooling for the cpu when i get the mounting kit - have the cooler ready to go.
Efited to correct cpu number.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grant Fondo
Screenshots, please, I imagine that looks incredible.

FS2020 is very much the new Crysis - my now 6-year old 970 has been more than adequate for every game I've had until FS2020 came out, it is mostly playable on 1080p Ultra, but it is unusable around cities, so for safety's sake I play on Medium, only going up to Ultra to take screenshots.

Currently flying from Northern California back to Europe on a Cessna 172 - in realtime. :surrender:(Thanks, FSEconomy.)
At a dirt airstrip in Newfoundland, can't fly again until it starts getting light. Looking forward to traversing Greenland in a couple of days.
Hopefully they fix the ATC and autopilot bugs soon.
Yes New York and London are good fun, but seriously slows down! V fast internet needed i have heard (as well as beefy PC. I am maxing out at 8GB vram and 12 GB ram in 4K ultra)
Black screens every so often, not much fun when on approach in a 747 :laugh:
Cracking game though, will see if i can get some pics up :okay:

Jody

Stubborn git
I'll be putting another PC together in the near future but like @si_c I will be waiting to see what happens with AMD. The new series of Nvidia cars have come at just the right time, especially given the performance increase over the last generation. This PC is only about 8 weeks old but it was a budget build to get me started with a i7 clocked heavily, a 980 GTX, ssd etc for just over £300. Then I bought a VR headset and the lust for more power started. It's still going to be a budget build but it should have a lot more bang for buck than if it was built a couple of months ago.

Someone on the time trial racing group i'm part of just dropped £1400 on a 2080ti in the middle of July. Doesn't look like a great investment now given the 3070 is going to be faster than it and it's ONLY £450.

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
I'll be putting another PC together in the near future but like @si_c I will be waiting to see what happens with AMD. The new series of Nvidia cars have come at just the right time, especially given the performance increase over the last generation. This PC is only about 8 weeks old but it was a budget build to get me started with a i7 clocked heavily, a 980 GTX, ssd etc for just over £300. Then I bought a VR headset and the lust for more power started. It's still going to be a budget build but it should have a lot more bang for buck than if it was built a couple of months ago.

Someone on the time trial racing group i'm part of just dropped £1400 on a 2080ti in the middle of July. Doesn't look like a great investment now given the 3070 is going to be faster than it and it's ONLY £450.
I am going straight to a 3080 as G-Sync dictates, but Big Navi should be worth the wait for red team officionados, lets hope a monumental pricing war breaks cover...2080ti owners watch out!

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
They already are. Ebay is currently littered with 1080/2080ti's and the prices have already taken a big hit. Going to be worth very little if they don't off load them in the next 8-12 weeks.
I would stick with a 2080ti if I had one, surely it will play anything at 4k for a couple of years? On the otherhand my gtx 1070 has been OC'd to the max and just can't cut it anymore. Fine with Battlefield 4, not so FS20.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's crazy that a game can lead this 'expense'. Fortunately my son is mainly into racing sims and VR, so the 2070 is more than enough now. Next time is likely to be a full system refresh, but he's going to need to be 'earning' properly.

dodgy

Now is a very bad time to buy a 2080 or similar level, throwing money away. I'll probably upgrade to the 3080, seems the sweet spot, cheaper and much faster than current 2080. I'll see a big lift in performance as I'm currently on a 1080, which is no slouch. Might have to upgrade my 600w PSU, though 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
Now is a very bad time to buy a 2080 or similar level, throwing money away. I'll probably upgrade to the 3080, seems the sweet spot, cheaper and much faster than current 2080. I'll see a big lift in performance as I'm currently on a 1080, which is no slouch. Might have to upgrade my 600w PSU, though 🤷‍♂️
Yes looks like 750w needed, and good quality due to 3000 cards demand for instant power switching i have read. I start to see benefits in consoles occasionally, pc gaming can be a money pit :wacko:

dodgy

For me the cost is easily justifiable, I work from home full time and have done for many years, so I get to use this PC all day for office work (citrix) then in the evening it's my gaming rig. £500 on an upgrade when viewed across the many hours/days it gets used makes it easier to swallow :becool:
I haven't installed FS2020 yet, I was really looking forward to it but have so far been put off by the system requirements and also the download, we're on the cusp of FTTP here but it never seems to come.

si_c

Guru
We don't actually really know how much faster it is than the 2080ti - probably in the region of 25-30% overall, it will really depend on the game engine. Nobody really has any new benchmarks yet.

Top Bottom