Any PC gamers around?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seevio

Guru
You might want to check AdoredTV's take on the 30 series. He seems to reckon it's about a 30% improvement.

Anyway, it's irrelevant how good they are as you're probably not going to be able to get hold of one for months.

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
Fair enough - as far as I know there have been no samples sent out for review yet and none of the major tech news sites were reporting having one, so my immediate thought when seeing a 20k subscriber channel I'd never heard of before was fake :laugh:

It'll be interesting to see what other benchmarks show - inevitably this will be a cherry picked benchmark showing the 30 series in the best possible light - all manufacturers do this. I'm still expecting an overall 30% uplift - if it's better of course then brilliant, pushes the price down for everyone :okay:

FWIW I'm not invested in AMD or nvidia either way - I've had both cards over the years and always found them to be excellent. Driver support on nvidia is usually better especially at launch.
Agree with your last comment, i have had real issues with AMD drivers running crossfire a few years back, so stay with nvidia now (and single cards).
The effective cartel in the gpu market isn't good for us punters no wonder nvidia is worth more then Intel now! I am sure if there was more competition in the market prices would be 20% less + pound v dollar adds to our woes.

si_c

Guru
Agree with your last comment, i have had real issues with AMD drivers running crossfire a few years back, so stay with nvidia now (and single cards).
The effective cartel in the gpu market isn't good for us punters no wonder nvidia is worth more then Intel now! I am sure if there was more competition in the market prices would be 20% less + pound v dollar adds to our woes.
Don't even talk to me about crossfire! Fortunately the trend seems to have moved away from multi-gpu towards much more powerful single GPUs for both vendors.

xzenonuk

Veteran
last october i upgraded my rx480 to a 5700, what a difference and at christmas time i got a ryzen 3600 to replace my i5 6600k :smile:

dad basically got a new comp out of all my old parts, he was still running a phenom II 955 lol

xzenonuk

Veteran
This is basically how I get my more powerful PCs - hand-me-downs!

used to be that way for me as well, when ever dad upgraded i would get the hand me downs now it is the other way about :smile:

think ill hold on to the tomahawk max board untill ddr 5 mem comes out then dad can have this one and what ever else i replace :smile:

edit: heres some pics

Jie7JPV.jpg

hacked snes mini on top with a nearly full 32 gig usb stick :P

Yhsh9nr.jpg

2 cheapo light strips that work on the software for my main board for rgb :smile:

only gaming at 1080 so tons of horse power :P

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Seeing if I can get hold of one tomorrow, been due an upgrade for last year or so since going 4K, glad I held off going RTX 2000 at least but my GTX 1070 is seriously crispy on the newer games.
Performance uplift for 4k is worth it, doesn't look worth for 1080p

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
While I am visiting this gamers thread...

I never got into playing shoot-em-ups, driving games, platform games and so on, but I am interested in games and the technology.

I mostly play very simple-looking puzzle games such as PALISADE (and others in that collection). Nowt to look at but quite tricky...

What I would like to try is something with fascinating graphics and sound, but no monsters, no frantic action. A really clever 3D puzzle, that kind of thing.

I get irritated by games that have hidden keys, magic spells, and so on. Everybody raved about The Room but I got tired of trying to discover some secret button (whatever).

Any suggestions for cheap/free such games?

Top Bottom