Any PC gamers around?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
What's needed to get lift off at 1080p? 2600K/Titan X cut it?
Should be OK, might bottleneck with that CPU though.

What's needed to get lift off at 1080p? 2600K/Titan X cut it?
Titan X will manage it without batting an eyelid, but the CPU might bottleneck it a little. I'm on an i7-4790k and a gtx970. Runs happily at 1080p on medium.

You will need 16GB of RAM though.

Edit: d'oh, snap

I've got to the point where I think 24 is the minimum for reasonable gaming with modern titles now.
Aside from FS2020, not a single game I own comes even close to my 16GB on 1920x1080, or even 3840x1080 when using Nvidia Surround.
FS2020 on Ultra in built-up areas will use 10GB.

If you were also running a server and streaming/video encoding then yes, but for general gaming, nah.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
My PC wasn't really brought for PC gaming. I have a pair of E5-2690's, 48gb ram and an RX590. I work mostly off of it. But i used to play strategy games a while back, especially when i owned an Amiga. During the lockdown, i must admit i gave Hearts Of Iron and Stellaris a blast and i have to say how addictive and excellent strategy games are these days. So in depth...

si_c

Guru
Aside from FS2020, not a single game I own comes even close to my 16GB on 1920x1080, or even 3840x1080 when using Nvidia Surround.

If you were also running a server and streaming/video encoding then yes, but for general gaming, nah.

Cities Skylines with mods easily eats 20GB RAM and 6GB of VRAM.

OP
OP
Grant Fondo

I am seeing 14.5GB RAM with Flight Sim 20 at 4k + GPU is maxed at 8GB VRAM....its a beast of a game to power!

I am seeing 14.5GB RAM with Flight Sim 20 at 4k + GPU is maxed at 8GB VRAM....its a beast of a game to power!
Aye, I imagine it will use extra resources where available, what's that old saying "Data expands to fill the space available".
The higher resolution will necessitate higher main RAM usage, even though the GPU is taking the bulk of the load.

I don't know the inner workings of the FS engine but given how much world geometry it's constantly loading and unloading in busy areas I imagine the more it can keep resident the happier it will be.

I only have 3.5GB of VRAM so it probably uses lower quality mipmaps independent of the graphics settings chosen.

My PC wasn't really brought for PC gaming. I have a pair of E5-2690's, 48gb ram and an RX590. I work mostly off of it. But i used to play strategy games a while back, especially when i owned an Amiga. During the lockdown, i must admit i gave Hearts Of Iron and Stellaris a blast and i have to say how addictive and excellent strategy games are these days. So in depth...
Ah, Paradox :whistle:

I think this is the first time in about 8 years that I've not had a Paradox grand strategy campaign on the go. I flip between them and burn out, but the FSEconomy addon for Flight Simulator 2020 has grabbed me and won't let go.

Europa Universalis IV is IMO the best PDX game - better than HOI4 and Stellaris, but it is a massive time sink - whereas a HOI4 campaign can last a few nights, an EU4 campaign can last months.

As for HOI4, the Kaiserreich mod improves it in every way, by asking the question "what if Germany had won WW1" - every single country has really interesting focus trees and events versus default HOI4 which is limited by historicity.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Ah, Paradox :whistle:

I think this is the first time in about 8 years that I've not had a Paradox grand strategy campaign on the go. I flip between them and burn out, but the FSEconomy addon for Flight Simulator 2020 has grabbed me and won't let go.

Europa Universalis IV is IMO the best PDX game - better than HOI4 and Stellaris, but it is a massive time sink - whereas a HOI4 campaign can last a few nights, an EU4 campaign can last months.

As for HOI4, the Kaiserreich mod improves it in every way, by asking the question "what if Germany had won WW1" - every single country has really interesting focus trees and events versus default HOI4 which is limited by historicity.
Sounds like my kind of thing for HOI4. Will have a look into it. Europa Universalis ive seen, but im not sure i have that kind of time unfortunately. But it is something i'd love to play.

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
Aye, I imagine it will use extra resources where available, what's that old saying "Data expands to fill the space available".
The higher resolution will necessitate higher main RAM usage, even though the GPU is taking the bulk of the load.

I don't know the inner workings of the FS engine but given how much world geometry it's constantly loading and unloading in busy areas I imagine the more it can keep resident the happier it will be.

I only have 3.5GB of VRAM so it probably uses lower quality mipmaps independent of the graphics settings chosen.
What card do you have? I have seen some benchmarks using 12 GB+ of vram for FS20...doesn't bode well for my new 10GB card (if and when it turns up!)

Top Bottom