Any gamers on CC?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

Anyone else into gaming? I know from the PC thread there's at least a few with gaming PCs but haven't seen a thread in this section after scanning back the last 12 months. I started playing computer games on my Spectrum 48K in the early 80s. Many happy hours playing Manic Miner, Knight Lore, Elite, Rebelstar etc, etc.

I've got an elderly gaming PC which I bought to play Elite: Dangerous back in 2016 but doesn't get fired up much now. Also an Xbox series X I don't get chance to play on as it's on the family telly and if someone isn't watching it, my son is playing on it. Though I did manage to finish Red Dead Redemption 2 recently... 4 years after I started it! :laugh:

However I've just bought a Steam Deck OLED and it's fabulous. I can sit on the sofa and game to my heart's content while being "semi-sociable", i.e present and available to comment or answer questions, rather than shut away in another room. It's also giving me chance to play loads of games in my Steam collection that I've never got round to. A few days ago I just finished Doom (2016), runs superbly on the Deck. The gyro controls work so well with the thumb controllers for fine aiming that it's nearly as good (for my meagre skill level) as mouse and keyboard. I'm also playing Horizon Zero Dawn on it.

I bought Cyberpunk 2077 and Skyrim in the Steam sale recently. Cyperpunk is the one I'm going to start playing now I've finished GTA 4. Skyrim is something else I've never played, though I did put a lot of hours into Oblivion on the Xb360.

I'm not a huge Nintendo fan but I have a Switch (which to be fair hasn't seen a lot of use since got the Deck) and spent a fair bit of time in Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom (my daughter's games but I picked them up after she'd finished them).

I prefer single player, story based or open world games. I've not done much online gaming since the Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament days, when dial up modems were still a thing! To be honest I want to play not talk into a headset and I don't like getting sworn at by 12 year olds! :biggrin:

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I still dip my toe into my favourite old MMO that has now reopened on public servers since the source code got "leaked " and the owners cant be bothered to chase it.
You can play solo or in teams, big plus for me is no pvp unless you go to the pvp zone , as a "carebear" player i much preffered this anyway.
Tons of content
https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php

https://city-of-heroes-homecoming.en.softonic.com/

I've still got my spectrum 48k and loads of games, not all legal! It'll still work if you can connect it up to TV thru adaptors and if you have a tape deck. I've not got a cassette player anymore. I quote fancy going retro with the old games.

My son has a switch and for a short spell used to play the retro games on it. He kept asking if they were the games I played on. Erm no! They were around in the 90s or more likely 2000s. Mine were 80s.

I have completed manic miner, but I must admit I used a hack to practice on the harder levels first though. Cracking game. I also played on my mate's BBC computer. On the one good game on that computer, elite! So when a spectrum version came out i didn't wait for a copy from someone at school but bought my own legal copy! It somehow wasn't as good as the BBC version.

Anyway, my only recent gaming was with my son l I got into minecraft with him. Also, he liked to play breath of the wild with me helping him by offering advice on difficult sections. Also as a family we played a few games like Mario cart and the Mario sports game. Then Kirby with him. And a spell on minecraft dungeons. Just as I was getting close to being as good as him he lost interest in favour of fortnite.

Alex H

Legendary Member
Long time user of MS Flight Simulator (until the latest - my PC did not like it). When I moved to France I got a copy of Eurotruck 2 and found that quite good until I had exhausted Europe. Coming back to the UK I thought what is this Fortnite thing that all the kids are expert at? Tried it and found I'm pretty good, although I can't build for anything!

si_c

Guru
I'm probably what most would call a hardcore gamer, my PC is built around it and I probably spend 2-3 hours a day gaming after Mrs C has gone to bed.

Currently have over300 games in my steam library - and doing a run-through of Skyrim again at the moment - been a few years since I last played it, but it's a great game. Want to re-run Oblivion again at some point before the new Elder Scrolls game comes out.

OP
OP
D

Dadam

Long time user of MS Flight Simulator (until the latest - my PC did not like it). When I moved to France I got a copy of Eurotruck 2 and found that quite good until I had exhausted Europe. Coming back to the UK I thought what is this Fortnite thing that all the kids are expert at? Tried it and found I'm pretty good, although I can't build for anything!

I never really got into flight sims. I did really like TFX back in the DOS days, which for me had just the balance of sim vs arcade. Also loved Wings of Glory from back in the day, on DOS again: a WW1 story/mission based game again with a similar arcade/sim blend. I tried IL-2 a few years ago due to the reviews but the learning curve was too steep for my attention span!

The exception to that is Elite: Dangerous. I got it years ago, and did the tutorial but didn't get a lot further and shelved it for years. I dug it out again in lockdown and in sucked me in like a black hole! sunk a couple of hundred hours into it. If you're a space nerd it's the ultimate sandbox as the developers modelled the 160,000 known star systems of our galaxy in 1:1 scale. Then armed with the known data of the composition of the galaxy and star formation processes, procedurally generated around 400 billion others! The constellations you see from Earth orbit are accurate in real time, and will change to the view you would get IRL if you could fly to a different star system. Obviously they have fudged the physics to enable FTL travel or it wouldn't be much fun.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dadam

Currently have over300 games in my steam library - and doing a run-through of Skyrim again at the moment - been a few years since I last played it, but it's a great game. Want to re-run Oblivion again at some point before the new Elder Scrolls game comes out.

You're definitely more hardcore than me! A mere 73 games on Steam. Another 48 on GOG.com and a couple of dozen freebies from Epic store.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Not much of a gamer. Amiga games (Wings), some PC (Canvas Eagles), now have a Mac desktop and play a fair amount of War Thunder tanks. Tried the World of Tanks, but it doesn’t sit right. Happy running round in early war tanks and going ‘pew pew’.

Yo ^_^

I use Xbox and Game Pass Ultimate which is like the Netflix for games, I mostly play more single player stuff like Fallout or a good old dungeon crawler like Diablo, Torchlight or there's a very good WH40k one called Inquisitor.

Some recent big games have really failed to grab me like Starfield which is disappointing, I've instead gone back to some older games I like to play and trying random games from gamepass to see what might be good.

I've also got a large collection of retro computers and consoles from the 80s90s. I need to have an audit of those in the new year as some work, some work a bit and some don't. The Amiga 1200 is my jewel of that, and is unfortunately in the 'works a bit category' lol.

Most exciting thing lately is the new GTA VI trailer, not watched it yet but it's apparently already causing controversy for daring to have a female antagonist, oh the humanity lol!

OP
OP
D

Dadam

Most exciting thing lately is the new GTA VI trailer, not watched it yet but it's apparently already causing controversy for daring to have a female antagonist, oh the humanity lol!

Just watched that, looks amazing. I need to replay Vice City now. I'll have to dig out the PS2 for it.

Just watched that, looks amazing. I need to replay Vice City now. I'll have to dig out the PS2 for it.

It does, Bonnie and Clyde esq couple it looks like. I have a Xbox Series S but I think I'll upgrade to a Series X and 4k TV before this comes out.

You really need to learn to build. My son spent quite some time on the build training games to practice. It makes it worth the effort when you can instinctively build out of trouble. In a close scrap with someone who seems a better close fighter he builds to gain distance and advantage then gets the head shot in before the guy finishes taking his quick build down to reach him. It's one of the skills you can practice in but worth the effort. My son keeps getting crown wins doing stuff like that. Mind you, it helps that he sees stuff happening like before anyone else. He's wired up to go fast I reckon! I love watching him play, it's amazing to see. Proud wannabe gamer dad living vicariously through his gamer son!

figbat

Slippery scientist
I've never really been a gamer - my only notable gaming achievement being to complete Sonic the Hedgehog on the Sega Megadrive. As a kid the family had a Philips Videopac G7000 console on which I was unbeaten on Pickaxe Pete. In later years I got a PS3 and made a it a fair way through Destiny and Last of Us, before they got old and support for the console and titles waned.

However in recent times my son has got into gaming - he has a Switch, XBox X and a Meta Quest. I have tried to show an interest and we often play Call of Duty MW2 (also just started on MW3) in split screen mode. We also made it through all the Halo games together. I am, however, useless at Rocket League.

Top Bottom