Any gamers on CC?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
He's wired up to go fast I reckon! I love watching him play, it's amazing to see. Proud wannabe gamer dad living vicariously through his gamer son!
That's age. I have a lot of pent up resentment that I grew up gaming before internet latency made competition more fluid. I played a lot of Counterstrike in the early years and was in a competitively ranked clan, but by this point I was in my mid-20s and had lost a fair amount of the twitch response I would have had in my teens.

I still play now, and whilst I perform reasonably well (generally mid-table) a lot of that is down to accumulated game sense, I've noticed a significant slowdown in my responsiveness now I'm in my 40s and playing against younger people I notice it quite a lot.

Make sure he has the opportunity to enjoy it now!

Alex321

Veteran
I used to play a lot of straegy/world building games on the pc - Civilization, Colonization, Stars!, Master of Magic And a few others.

Nowaday, I hardly play any games on the PC, but I spend several hours a day playing one phone/tablet game - Clash of Clans.

mustang1

Guru
Elite, one of the best games ever, back in the day!

These days, I don't touch PC for games, forever upgrading is not for me. I roll with Gran Turismo, FIFA. Might get Red Dead Redemption 2 coz I like wandering around like in GTA.

OP
OP
D

Dadam

Elite, one of the best games ever, back in the day!

These days, I don't touch PC for games, forever upgrading is not for me. I roll with Gran Turismo, FIFA. Might get Red Dead Redemption 2 coz I like wandering around like in GTA.

RDR2 is without doubt the best game for aimlessly wandering around! Don't get me wrong the story is great as are the missions and side quests, but the landscape is drop dead gorgeous, especially on OLED telly at 4k/120hz, and I've lost many an hour just ambling around on horseback gawping at the scenery.

However in recent times my son has got into gaming - he has a Switch, XBox X and a Meta Quest. I have tried to show an interest and we often play Call of Duty MW2 (also just started on MW3) in split screen mode. We also made it through all the Halo games together. I am, however, useless at Rocket League.
Split Screen or Couch Co-Op is great fun, I have a couple of none cycling buddies and we make a point of trying to find new games to play.

One we're into at the moment is "Golf with your friends" - basically crazy golf but with enough skill (and randomness!) involved to make it very competative lol

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no_IUGXGFEI

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm not a 'gamer' at all because I'm mostly terrible at video games, but I am ever so slightly addicted to SnowRunner which i bought myself last Xmas. The scenery is stunning, the tasks engaging, the mud is frustratingly sticky and there's very few time limits.

si_c

Guru
I'm not a 'gamer' at all because I'm mostly terrible at video games, but I am ever so slightly addicted to SnowRunner which i bought myself last Xmas. The scenery is stunning, the tasks engaging, the mud is frustratingly sticky and there's very few time limits.

So you're a gamer :laugh: There tends to be a horrible perception that being a gamer involves playing games where you shoot other people. Most of the great games out there are small indy games with great generally playability, Snow Runner looks a lot like that, you'd probably like Euro Truck Simulator too. Not my cup of tea, I really like building games, so city builders - I've been playing a lot of Timberborn lately.

That's age. I have a lot of pent up resentment that I grew up gaming before internet latency made competition more fluid. I played a lot of Counterstrike in the early years and was in a competitively ranked clan, but by this point I was in my mid-20s and had lost a fair amount of the twitch response I would have had in my teens.

I still play now, and whilst I perform reasonably well (generally mid-table) a lot of that is down to accumulated game sense, I've noticed a significant slowdown in my responsiveness now I'm in my 40s and playing against younger people I notice it quite a lot.

Make sure he has the opportunity to enjoy it now!

He's getting a gaming pc for his birthday in less than 2 weeks, if it turns up. An i5 gtx summat gpu 27th 12gb, can't afford 16gb so it'll have to do. Getting a mechanical keyboard but can't decide between red, blue, brown or low profile red switches. Iirc brown is mid performance quiet, red is a bit faster response, low profile is short travel to actuation and blue is fastest response times. Or something like that.

PC is 1440p at 166hz I think and the monitor is qhd at 166hz IIRC. That's matched in performance I think. All in he should get faster than his switch be plays on now. I think we're giving him an expensive present so he can get the most out of his gaming skills. I think he'll enjoy it.

Just worried he'll have no games but I think he has ms xbox pass and an epic games account. I think he can download fortnite and rocket league for free from epic then sign in for us skins gained on the switch. I hope so. Anyone know for sure?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think of 'gamer' as applying to people who play fast, graphically-intense action games. I play a lot of computer games, but they are all slow, graphically-simple puzzles. I don't consider myself a gamer, but maybe I am?

If any of you like the same kind of games as me, search for 'Simon Tatham puzzles'. They are free, do not show ads, and will run on low power devices of most types. My current favourites from the collection are: Palisade, Magnets, Towers, Galaxies and Unruly. There are many others that I haven't tried yet.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Not sure whether it counts as gaming, but I'm enjoying Train Sim World 3.
download (9)~3.jpeg

download (10)~2.jpeg

download (14)~4.jpeg

Top Bottom