Any PC gamers around?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I quite like Unblock on Android, based on a web game from about 15 years ago, quite addictive.
Ah yes, that's the kind of thing that I often play. I might give that a go again.

I loved the original editions of Lemmings put wasn't keen on later ones with all sorts of unnecessary extra Lemming types added.

While I am visiting this gamers thread...

I never got into playing shoot-em-ups, driving games, platform games and so on, but I am interested in games and the technology.

I mostly play very simple-looking puzzle games such as PALISADE (and others in that collection). Nowt to look at but quite tricky...

What I would like to try is something with fascinating graphics and sound, but no monsters, no frantic action. A really clever 3D puzzle, that kind of thing.

I get irritated by games that have hidden keys, magic spells, and so on. Everybody raved about The Room but I got tired of trying to discover some secret button (whatever).

Any suggestions for cheap/free such games?
Zachtronics make amazing puzzle games, because the puzzles rarely railroad you or have a prescribed solution.

Of all their games, I recommend Opus Magnum the most. Infinifactory is 3D but hurts my brain.

dodgy

While I am visiting this gamers thread...

I never got into playing shoot-em-ups, driving games, platform games and so on, but I am interested in games and the technology.

I mostly play very simple-looking puzzle games such as PALISADE (and others in that collection). Nowt to look at but quite tricky...

What I would like to try is something with fascinating graphics and sound, but no monsters, no frantic action. A really clever 3D puzzle, that kind of thing.

I get irritated by games that have hidden keys, magic spells, and so on. Everybody raved about The Room but I got tired of trying to discover some secret button (whatever).

Any suggestions for cheap/free such games?

Portal by Valve.
Thank me later :becool:

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
It will be interesting to see if Nvidia actually make many founders cards available at the MSRP.

Good luck @Grant Fondo - let us know how you get on.
Well i appear to have nabbed one, no idea when it will arrive? Bit of a buying frenzy today, lots of website crashing etc. Not putting the old kit on Ebay just yet...should be plenty of decent graphics cards up very shortly, a buyers market as they say :okay:

Seevio

Guru
Well i appear to have nabbed one, no idea when it will arrive? Bit of a buying frenzy today, lots of website crashing etc. Not putting the old kit on Ebay just yet...should be plenty of decent graphics cards up very shortly, a buyers market as they say :okay:
Congratulations. Hopefully you get to enjoy it soon. The founder's edition at MSRP seems like a bargain under Nvidia's high end monopoly due to it being a loss leader. The AIB cards on the other hand don't seem like so much of a bargain. They either have to match price by using cheaper lower quality cooling or match quality and charge more.

Unsurprisingly the 3080 is now out of stock on the (UK) Nvidia site. :smile:

As I need a new monitor before a new gpu, I think I'll wait to see what AMD does that's going to "disrupt the 4K market".

I was already an anti-consumerist grognard, but this RTX 3- series hype is turning me a full-blown misanthropic technophobe.
People continually hitting reload on their browsers, bringing websites down. Ebay full of scalpers. The Black Friday effect but online.

The currently most popular game on Steam and Twitch looks like a flash game circa 2003.

If you want to throw money away chasing incremental upgrades, instead give it to me, I will invest it more wisely :biggrin:

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
'Bargain' is an odd turn of phrase when talking about expensive graphics cards, but I paid £649.99 for this very same card yesterday. That's some serious inflation!

MSI NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 VENTUS 3X 10G AMPERE GRAPHICS CARD
MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 VENTUS 3X 10G Ampere Graphics Card
Cuda Cores: 8704, Boost Clock: 1710MHz, GDDR6X, 320-bit

msi-3080_ventus_3x_10g.jpg

Very short supply, no confirmed date question-mark.png

£799.99 inc vat
£666.66 ex vat
This product is only available to buy when in stock
payment-cards-realex.png

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
Congratulations. Hopefully you get to enjoy it soon. The founder's edition at MSRP seems like a bargain under Nvidia's high end monopoly due to it being a loss leader. The AIB cards on the other hand don't seem like so much of a bargain. They either have to match price by using cheaper lower quality cooling or match quality and charge more.

Unsurprisingly the 3080 is now out of stock on the (UK) Nvidia site. :smile:

As I need a new monitor before a new gpu, I think I'll wait to see what AMD does that's going to "disrupt the 4K market".
Yes, waiting a bit should pay dividends. I jumped in with both feet as struggling with Flight Sim 2020 at 4K... new card should, ahem, really make it take off :laugh:

Top Bottom