Any people from Norfolk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
I'm definitely a local born and bred although I only have five fingers and toes!

Not 'NFN' then !

:crazy:

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Place gets over run with bloody tourists.
Norfolk is lovely, coastal breeze can be cold of that North Sea but dont let that put you off.

As for pub and shop.... That can change any day in a village.. Melton Constable area is very Norfolk as is Swafham area.
You'll need to learn the language :laugh:
Swaffham is ok though. Proper town but not madly busy. Best of both worlds with cafes and shops but not big like Norwich. I would live there.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Swaffham is ok though. Proper town but not madly busy. Best of both worlds with cafes and shops but not big like Norwich. I would live there.

I quite like Dereham too though i prefer inland, Brancaster aside.. What a beach

Last edited:
I'm definitely a local born and bred although I only have five fingers and toes! Travelled a lot but absolutely love home. Live in a village about six miles north of Norwich and usually head to the coast via the small lanes. Beware the surfaces can be awful, coast road I find is mostly ok to ride on from Wells to Cromer. I think you may have trouble finding a small village with both a shop and pub.

Not sure if Loddon and Beccles are large villages or small towns, but both fit the bill for a shop and good pubs, and are respectively about 16 and 10 miles from the coast (Lowestoft).

Not sure if Loddon and Beccles are large villages or small towns, but both fit the bill for a shop and good pubs, and are respectively about 16 and 10 miles from the coast (Lowestoft).
Loddon is really a large village, Beccles is a small market town.

OP
OP
Broughtonblue
Thanks for your replies, we are after a character property, a little different from the new builds, with a decent amount of land. Village life with a pub etc...... next question

Seen 2 lovely looking places on the net in a place called Hemsby, so googling it, I take it this won't give us the sedatery village life as seems a bit like skegness, full of holiday parks and amusements?

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Lived and living in Cromer for 46 of my 59 years. Biased I know, but love the place and wouldn’t live anywhere else.
There’s a ridge called Cremer’s drift that runs along the coast which is a bit of a ball ache if you’re cycling from the coast inland, but very manageable and not exactly of Peak District proportions!
If you’re looking for somewhere a little quieter and less touristy, I’d recommend Northrepps, Southrepps, Aldborough or West Beckham, or somewhere like Overstand which is a coastal village a mile and a half East of Cromer. Of the larger towns Sheringham is very nice or Wells next to sea further West.
I’m the Secretary of North Norfolk Wheelers. We have four organised rides a week if that’s your thing. North Norfolk has miles and miles of criss crossing country lanes mostly traffic free. Not exactly ideal if you’re worried about average speed and flinty mud on the roads during winter can provoke the puncture fairy, but I love it!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Hemsby's still in the holiday park and tourist area associated with Great Yarmouth. For a quieter life you'd need to go either further inland or to the north.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Addendum - Hemsby wouldn’t be my first choice in that part of Norfolk. Try somewhere like Winterton, Somerton or Sea Palling. Happisburgh is lovely, but falling into the sea at a rapid rate of knots.

Last edited:
Top Bottom