1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any pest control experts here?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Ashtrayhead, 31 May 2008.

1. Ashtrayhead

Ashtrayhead Über Member

In our office at work, a couple of people claimed to have been bitten by unseen pests. The caretaker came into the office and strategically placed sheets of white A4 paper on the floor and said to leave them there overnight an if there were any pests there would be evidence on the paper in the morning. I naively asked what he'd sprayed the paper with and he said nothing because they'd be attracted to white surfaces. He claimed he's a qualified pest controller so I was in no position to challenge him.

Nothing was found on the paper the following day but is he right?

On a lighter note, one of the night duty staff walked in an slipped on one of the sheets of paper and went flying!

2. Jaded

Jaded New Member

To see if there are fleas in the room, put hot water in a tall container and stand it in cold water in a flat container. The fleas are attracted towards the heat of the tall container and then splash down in the water in the flat one. If you put a bit of washing up liquid in the flat one they'll sink and drown faster.

3. Night Train

Night Train Guest

Can also help if you have a slow flashing light above it as the fleas think it is a passing shadow and jump for it.

4. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

the people who claim to have been bitten by unseen pests are more than likely angling for a day off while pest control people are forced to evacuate the office. The guy with the white paper is probably trying to call their bluff and hopes to convince them that he's proved that there are none. Probably isn't true, but they won't know that.

5. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

I think the guy with the white paper 'experiment' is related to Walter Mitty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

I'm more concerned about the nightwatchman! :ohmy:

7. punkypossum

punkypossum Donut Devil

Flea dirt shows up on white paper - that's how you can tell if your pets have fleas, but I've never heard of live fleas hopping onto white paper. Our office constantly has them and keeps getting sprayed (and no, we don't get time off work for it either), but I have never seen one sitting around on a piece of paper anywhere!

8. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

the other week when there was a smell like a drain problem in our office there were clamour of "we'll all need to be sent home!" :tongue:

9. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

That's the word that used to get changed to nighfoolchman on C+.

10. Noodley

Noodley Guest

You can detect elephants in your fridge by placing butter in it...

11. Jaded

Jaded New Member

Really?! :tongue:

12. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

Not sure I'd want to place butter *in* an elephant now I've seen the Darwin Awards for the year

13. garethjones

garethjones New Member

There is a solution for this. Electric Fly Killer.
    It is very effective as it attracts the flies and kills them when it enters in the device.

Try it.

14. asterix

asterix Comrade Member

If you mean this I have one and all it catches is moths! This despite there being loads of flies and they just sit on the outside.

15. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

Welcome to CycleChat gareth - that's a strange old first post!