Any pest control experts here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
In our office at work, a couple of people claimed to have been bitten by unseen pests. The caretaker came into the office and strategically placed sheets of white A4 paper on the floor and said to leave them there overnight an if there were any pests there would be evidence on the paper in the morning. I naively asked what he'd sprayed the paper with and he said nothing because they'd be attracted to white surfaces. He claimed he's a qualified pest controller so I was in no position to challenge him.

Nothing was found on the paper the following day but is he right?

On a lighter note, one of the night duty staff walked in an slipped on one of the sheets of paper and went flying!

Jaded

To see if there are fleas in the room, put hot water in a tall container and stand it in cold water in a flat container. The fleas are attracted towards the heat of the tall container and then splash down in the water in the flat one. If you put a bit of washing up liquid in the flat one they'll sink and drown faster.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Jaded said:
To see if there are fleas in the room, put hot water in a tall container and stand it in cold water in a flat container. The fleas are attracted towards the heat of the tall container and then splash down in the water in the flat one. If you put a bit of washing up liquid in the flat one they'll sink and drown faster.
Can also help if you have a slow flashing light above it as the fleas think it is a passing shadow and jump for it.

bonj2

the people who claim to have been bitten by unseen pests are more than likely angling for a day off while pest control people are forced to evacuate the office. The guy with the white paper is probably trying to call their bluff and hopes to convince them that he's proved that there are none. Probably isn't true, but they won't know that.

Flea dirt shows up on white paper - that's how you can tell if your pets have fleas, but I've never heard of live fleas hopping onto white paper. Our office constantly has them and keeps getting sprayed (and no, we don't get time off work for it either), but I have never seen one sitting around on a piece of paper anywhere!

bonj2

the other week when there was a smell like a drain problem in our office there were clamour of "we'll all need to be sent home!" :tongue:

Noodley

You can detect elephants in your fridge by placing butter in it...

byegad

Legendary Member
I had the same problem in an office and used to take in a red 'Raid' can of insectiside, the one for crawling rather than flying bugs. As I was first in I used to douse the carpet around my desk. Later arrivals used to comment on the smell (From the Raid rather than me!:biggrin: I hope.) I acted all innocent and joined in wondering what could have caused it. :whistle:

However I was the only person not to get bitten ankles!

Top Bottom