any psychologists/dream analysts on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

had a weird dream last night: I was cycling home from work, along my normal route, and i was about 80% of the way home when I stopped at a spar which for some reason was different to what it normally is: it was about a mile further along the road than it actually is, it was a lot smaller, didn't have a petrol station as it does in real life, and it was more of a 'kiosk' than a walk-in shop but there was a person or multiple people running it with their house behind. For some reason, there was also lots of tumbleweed blowing around like there always is in dreams. I stopped and exchanged words with the guy running the spar, and then he gave me some money, in notes and pound coins. I knew that he wasn't supposed to be giving me the money and that it was because he was mixed up, but I accepted it anyway. I put the notes in my pocket or wallet or somewhere and the coins in a carrier bag I was carrying - I'm not sure whether I had this before I got to the spar or not, or whether I got it from the spar, but I cycled off on the pavement with it hanging from my left handlebar. All the while it was like I was experiencing this, and it was really realistic. I then noticed that my bike's handlebars were dodgy - they were my old flat-bar ones, and they didn't have grips or bar ends and they were loose. This is the weird bit: I then found myself thinking, 'hang on - this MUST only be a dream - because I know in real life i've put drop handlebars on ...' And at the point when I realised I KNEW it was a dream, but was still in it, the carrier bag hanging from my left handlebar suddenly got much heavier, instantly causing me to fall off sideways! The point where I fell off was when I woke up...;) :biggrin:

how weird is that?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
as someone with a psychology degree, stay off the cheese bonj ;)

OP
OP
B

bonj2

alecstilleyedye said:
as someone with a psychology degree, stay off the cheese bonj ;)

dreams are good though... i sometimes eat cheese just to make myself dream, but it rarely works, i only have a dream probably about once every 4 months on average.

Pete

Nearly everyone dreams every time they sleep. It's the waking out of a dream that makes it memorable. Sometimes pleasant. Sometimes not. One tip I've heard of, if you're interested in recording the dream you just woke from, for posterity, is to have something to record your voice, by your bedside. Perhaps voice-actuated to save you fiddling about for a switch in the dark (not if you are a heavy snorer ;)). You will discover that your mutterings are very incoherent, but if you play them back later in the day (don't leave it longer) you may be able to refresh your memory enough for a transcript.

Oh, and if you sleep with a partner, maybe a good idea to warn them first! :biggrin:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
you will dream every night, it's part of rem sleep, but you'll only remember the occasional one.

quite often dreams can be interpreted with little more than common sense. they may represent, either obviously or symbolically, events that have happened recently (mundane and unusual). dreams are the brains way of dealing with a lot of 'clutter' information, sort of a reboot if you like.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Pete said:
Nearly everyone dreams every time they sleep. It's the waking out of a dream that makes it memorable. Sometimes pleasant. Sometimes not. One tip I've heard of, if you're interested in recording the dream you just woke from, for posterity, is to have something to record your voice, by your bedside. Perhaps voice-actuated to save you fiddling about for a switch in the dark (not if you are a heavy snorer :biggrin:). You will discover that your mutterings are very incoherent, but if you play them back later in the day (don't leave it longer) you may be able to refresh your memory enough for a transcript.

Oh, and if you sleep with a partner, maybe a good idea to warn them first! :sad:

bonj? surely you jest pete ;)

Bokonon

Über Member
bonj said:
how weird is that?

As someone who used to work in the psychology department of a leading university, I would say that there is not enough data present to give a statistically valid answer to that quetion.

col

Legendary Member
Interesting,iv never heard of anyone who realised that they were dreaming while still in the dream,unusual i think?

Abitrary

Don't think this dream has any deep psychological meaning. This is more to with reliving the sensation of riding on a new bike, and the fact that you were aware you were dreaming is testament to this.

It's a bit like a kid waking with a start after a day at Alton Towers thinking he's still on the rollercoaser.

The tumbleweed yes is normal; I get that and also little victorian girls dressed in bonnets reciting nursery rhymes to me in reverse

Top Bottom