Any Reason you can't just use a TomTom?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Drawbacks:
- Colour LCD washes out to invisibilty in daylight, may also reflect glare from sky
- Not waterproof
- Lack of practical mount (vinyl pouches make the screen even harder to view)
- Battery life
That said, I sometimes use my Tomtom - the audio instructions and bicycle routing option work OK. I even have a way to import tracks into it, extremely fiddly so I won't explain it here.
... and all these (and more) is why the bicycle satnavs are more expensive. They have to be durable, waterproof, run for long periods, be visible in sunlight, etc. etc. You pay for what you get (or is it 'you get what you pay for'?). :tongue:

betty swollocks

large member
I have 'Navigon' installed on my iphone. Navigon has a cycling option. You feed in your destination and it will find minor roads to get you there.
Last year I cycled to Scotland navigating this way. Dimming the screen completely and just and listening with a single earphone in, gave it a decent battery life. Stopped at a pub lunchtimes to top up the charge though.
Had a map for back-up, which proved unnecessary.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Stopped at a pub lunchtimes to top up the charge though.
Had a map for back-up, which proved unnecessary.

Good excuse for a pub stop!
I use this Memory Map device for long rides. The gadget was pricey, but hey I figured, only the value of about 4 tanks of petrol that I was saving anyway. I used it to get to Amsterdam and back and it was great, battery life is about 7 hours and you just download O.S. maps or equivalent abroad. I love maps but found I was spoiling so many of my treasured OS maps by getting them wet. Its also a PITA to keep stopping to unfold and look at them.

It does seem a pity you can't use your own wheel power to charge such GPS devices like how dynamo lights work- someone must have figures out how to do this though I haven't seen any in use.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
This Summer I cycled from Doncaster to Milton Keynes. I knew my route as far as Melton Mowbray and printed/laminated maps form there onwards. I bought the cheapest satnav phone I could find (a nokia 5230) in case I lost my way. I camped 'roadside' in Tilton on the Hill, and around 20 mins after setting off the next morning I used the sat nav function for the first time, because the maps I'd printed weren't 'zoomed in' enough. I came across a couple of T-junctions where the signposted villages weren't on my maps!

It also helped me through Northampton centre and on to the right road back out. The phone only cost around 60 quid, worked perfectly, and when I arrived I'd had the phone on for around 12 hours, with the sat nav on for over 2 hours (on dim setting). I had about 1/4 battery life left. I suppose at a push you could maybe recharge in a McDonalds on route?

It came with a holder that I managed to fit on the bike, and I had a clear plastic sandwich bag on standby for if it rained. Cheap and effective.

OP
OP
X

Xiorell

Über Member
Any reason you can't use a map :biggrin:

OS map, compass. Cheap, needs no batteries - bugger in the wind and rain though!
Can also make colour copies of the bits of map you need and use that. It's what I do on longer trips, can fold/ shove the copies wherever, up your sleeve etc.
Not as convenient as a Satnav/GPS, but cheapo and workable.
Maps have the added advantage that they give a better appreciation of the terrain and the layout of the area.

I know it's not the answer to your question, but it's an alternative view!

I've no objection to regular maps at all, when me and the misses are going somewhere in the car we normally use a normal map the whole way.

But sometimes, you just can't be arsed lol

snailracer

Über Member
... and all these (and more) is why the bicycle satnavs are more expensive. They have to be durable, waterproof, run for long periods, be visible in sunlight, etc. etc. You pay for what you get (or is it 'you get what you pay for'?). :tongue:
AFAICT, bicycle and motorcycle satnavs are more expensive mostly because they are niche items serving a tiny market, not because the components are much more expensive.

For me, the main drawback of the car satnav is the colour LCD display - if you could buy them with the older greyscale transflective displays (commonly found on GPS "trackers" and really old mobile phones), they would be visible in daylight, cheaper and use less power.

The waterproofness can be sorted with a ziploc freezer bag. Replaceable batteries are a bit of mixed blessing - yes you can buy more on the way, but they are bulkier & heavier for any given amount of energy.

I'm not sure any device is tough enough to survive a crash - the car satnav copes by being cheap to replace :laugh:.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
could you not just have an old tomtom one in your luggage/saddle bag and fire it up for a bit while you get yourself sorted out?

Better still download Google maps onto your phone, works for me whenever I'm lost...shows my current position, provides live directions and is very accurate...and simple to use.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Better still download Google maps onto your phone, works for me whenever I'm lost...shows my current position, provides live directions and is very accurate...and simple to use.
I have an app on my phone where i download maps onto the pc and then convert them into phone maps that are stored on a memory card, this way i do not incur data charges as i have downloaded and converted a big area that i am likely to cycle in and it came to about 50 mb.

John90

Über Member
I'll stick with my 705 - great gadget !

I concur, although the 'find places' facility is a bit eccentric in my view and mine has a tendency to switch itself off occasionally (this after a couple of years use, which for high tech gadgets is about par I guess).

Davidc

Guru
I'm mainly with FF. I do use a Garmin Foretrex 101 as well which gives me NGR if I need it.

I have taken an old Navman iCN 501 with me. With the screen illumination off it lasts about 6 hours and the voice instructions are useable. On a universal handlebar mount it's OK in dull weather and lasts about 4 hours. Too big and the maps aren't designed for bike rides so I don't bother.

Top Bottom