Any Reason you can't just use a TomTom?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Xiorell

Über Member
I mean, propper cycle gps/satnav is bloody expensive...
...Could you not just use a normal TomTom if you're just riding on normal roads?

I know there'd be a battery life issue but say for example, you're off out on a long trip along unknown roads and get yourself lost. Rather than faff about with maps, could you not just have an old tomtom one in your luggage/saddle bag and fire it up for a bit while you get yourself sorted out?

potsy

Rambler
I've done just that a few times, battery life is not great so use it in short bursts or if seriously lost to get you pointing back in the right direction.

snailracer

Über Member
Drawbacks:
- Colour LCD washes out to invisibilty in daylight, may also reflect glare from sky
- Not waterproof
- Lack of practical mount (vinyl pouches make the screen even harder to view)
- Battery life
That said, I sometimes use my Tomtom - the audio instructions and bicycle routing option work OK. I even have a way to import tracks into it, extremely fiddly so I won't explain it here.

Ellis456

You can yes, I do, have a handlebar mount I got from ebay a few years back thatw as meant for a mobile phone but holds my tomtom fine, I have replaced the internal battery and now get around an hour and a half if the brightness is turned down.

For making it weather proof you can buy these sat nav slip on things like for motorbikesm you can see the screen yet its kept dry. And for glare you can buy a sunshield.

C

chillyuk

I tried my Garmin on the bike a while back. I travelled 10 miles home and not once did it pick up a satellite. In the car over the same route it works perfectly. When I first moved to Harlow I sometimes took it with me when walking and it sometimes picked up where I was and I could check the map. I think you have to be moving at faster than walking or (my) cycling speed for it to work properly.

PS, I don't make a habit of taking my SatNav for a walk! It was when I first got it and before the novelty wore off :wacko:

I think you have to be moving at faster than walking or (my) cycling speed for it to work properly.

Not so with a Tom Tom, I regularly put mine on my office window sill to get a signal so I can plan my route if I've got an early start the following day. (this is for driving to meetings etc so I can just jump in the car at stupid o'clock, turn it on and go, I don't use it for cycling). Point being it picks ups a GPS fix without being in the car everytime :thumbsup:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Any reason you can't use a map :biggrin:

OS map, compass. Cheap, needs no batteries - bugger in the wind and rain though!
Can also make colour copies of the bits of map you need and use that. It's what I do on longer trips, can fold/ shove the copies wherever, up your sleeve etc.
Not as convenient as a Satnav/GPS, but cheapo and workable.
Maps have the added advantage that they give a better appreciation of the terrain and the layout of the area.

I know it's not the answer to your question, but it's an alternative view!

Sara_H

Guru
As someone who jas zero sense of direction, I could really use some cycle satnav type thing.

I have tried out the bike hub app, but on a test in my own city I found the routes it took bizzare, it seemed slow, the instructions were difficult to hear and not clear. In short - it was no good!

As others have said, paper maps are an option, but for someone like me with poor sense of direction, it means stopping every two minutes to get the map and compass out!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
As someone who jas zero sense of direction, I could really use some cycle satnav type thing.

I have tried out the bike hub app, but on a test in my own city I found the routes it took bizzare, it seemed slow, the instructions were difficult to hear and not clear. In short - it was no good!

As others have said, paper maps are an option, but for someone like me with poor sense of direction, it means stopping every two minutes to get the map and compass out!

I find my Tom Tom's like that as well!

Ok, my view is that if you need Satellite Navigation to get around on a bike, it's worth investing in the proper device for the Job.

Maz

Guru
You could use a TomTom, but you might end up taking the Motorway...

88828350.jpg

Top Bottom