Any reason - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Okay, this isn't strictly a cycling issue, but there may well be someone out there who can provide a logical answer - !
On my commutes, it's common to see diesel engined vehicles; cars, vans, trucks, parked up but with the engine running for sometimes half an hour oe more. Never petrol, always diesel.
No-one I've asked so far, including an AA breakdown man can give a reason why. AA man says there's no techno reason why this should be happening. And it's nothing to do with keeping the air con going or similar, as often windows are open. Folk bang on about pollution, so what's special about diesel - ? :angry:
Why - ? :whistle:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Someone else is paying the fuel bill?

Refrigerated trucks may need to keep the refrigerant compressor going but there is generally an auxiliary engine for that, running on red diesel because it was much cheaper (I think that was changed in the last Budget).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Apparently, it is illegal...

RAC said:
Can I get a fine for idling?
The issue of engines not being switched off when vehicles are parked is, unbeknownst to many, already an offence.

Rule 123 of The Highway Code looks at ‘The Driver and the Environment’, stating that drivers must not leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road.

Local authorities have the power to issue £20 fixed penalties for emission offences and stationary idling under The Road Traffic (Vehicle Emissions) (Fixed Penalty) (England) Regulations 2002.

However, it is important to note that this is imposed only if a motorist refuses to switch off their engine off when asked to do so by an authorised person.
Seek out an 'authorised person' to tell them to turn the engine off!

stuarttunstall

I think some towns have started to clamp down and it is illegal to sit for any time with the engine running.. I think York is one of them ..

My car has "stop/start" which most people hate but I like it, works well on my Skoda Superb and better for all when at lights, once you know how it works you can control it well.. but 99% the time I always turn mine off..

Stuart

gbb

Legendary Member
I often noticed service engineers van's, fork lift engineers, that kind of thing, often left running. I asked a couple at work and they both gave the same reason...they have to do their computer work, communications with base etc and it drains the battery,
Perhaps the same can account for some cars, business use etc.

Slick

Guru
I can't remember what I was doing as a young man that prompted my boss to share this story but apparently the estate owner was always a bit annoyed that every lunch time his tractor man eat his lunch in the byre with his tractor ticking over until he finally sold him some part of the business and he never heard the tractor sitting ticking over again.
A useless story that did stick with me and proved correct as I found nobody ever treats expenses as if it was their own unless it's coming out their own pocket no matter what they think they do or try and tell you they do.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
It's mostly diesels probably because all commercial vehicles are and some may need to be kept running to support other on-board systems as mentioned. There's also the argument for reducing wear and tear on starter gear for vehicles that are doing a lot of stop-start journeys; but I'm not sure how legit this is. Over and above these it's probably just the result of people being lazy, feckless and wasteful - especially with resources they don't have to pay for.

One tiny saving grace is that Diesel engines are much more thermally efficient than choked petrol engines (as they are when idling / under most driving conditions) so it's not wasting as much fuel as a petrol motor would, however it's still bloody pointless most of the time and really boils my piss to witness :angry:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'd guess battery saving most of the time. It only takes a few stop and starts to drain a battery if you're not doing at least 15 minutes driving between using the starter

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I think some towns have started to clamp down and it is illegal to sit for any time with the engine running.. I think York is one of them ..

My car has "stop/start" which most people hate but I like it, works well on my Skoda Superb and better for all when at lights, once you know how it works you can control it well.. but 99% the time I always turn mine off..

Stuart

Why turn it off when it works well and is better for all ?

Drago

Legendary Member
Because the increased engineering and different battery chemistry required causes more environmental damage that the miniscule fuel saving would have done? Theres no free lunch with thermodynamics.

Top Bottom