Any reason - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Because the increased engineering and different battery chemistry required causes more environmental damage that the miniscule fuel saving would have done? Theres no free lunch with thermodynamics.
It makes no difference, it's a small circuit board with a timer & an extra relay, hardly earth destroying.

As to the retard leaving the engine running, several reasons, as above it's not their money, it's cold so heater is on, it's hot so air con is on, unless as above they are chillers, but quite often these have to be switched on in urban areas like outside supermarkets now.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Because the increased engineering and different battery chemistry required causes more environmental damage that the miniscule fuel saving would have done? Theres no free lunch with thermodynamics.
My computer informs me that stop-start has given me an extra 17 miles range since new (that's about 40p of fuel).

The new EFB battery I had to fit last week to make the stop-start work again cost £110*, and I had to idle the engine for 10 minutes for the stop-start system to reinitialise itself.

It is an utter con to get the g/km test figures down by a couple of points.

*£500 main dealer charge, had I taken it there

rustyroger

When I delivered parcels for a living I might have been stopping the van every few minutes, often leaving the lights on in the winter. Never had a problem with the battery or starter motor during the 200k miles the vans might see during their lease.

Roger,

sheddy

Legendary Member
Normal behavior by motorists in car parks.
In winter - wear proper winter layers, not just a shirt. What would you do if the car breaks down ?
In summer - get out and find some shade.

Drago

Legendary Member
It makes no difference, it's a small circuit board with a timer & an extra relay, hardly earth destroying.

As to the retard leaving the engine running, several reasons, as above it's not their money, it's cold so heater is on, it's hot so air con is on, unless as above they are chillers, but quite often these have to be switched on in urban areas like outside supermarkets now.
Not to mention the rather large starter/alternator, the larger battery with an inherently shorter life, the greater amounts of copper wiring, the modified dual (or even triple) circuit cooling systems required to keep the engine in the optimum and very narrow operating temperature range which also necessitates more engineering and materials...

Top Bottom