Insurance company not paying-up after no-fault car accident - any advice, any legal-eagles hereabouts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Dears
3 months ago, late one bright clear night on an empty 4 lane motorway I got rear-ended at speed by an E-class Merc Taxi which wrote off our recently purchased and much loved VW Transporter camper. Absolutely no fault of mine - was doing 60mph on the inside lane minding my own business. The Police are prosecuting the driver for driving without due care and attention.

Police arrived and did all the necessary. Our insurance company (Via an accident Management Company) were very efficient at getting the vehicle to a compound and providing us with a hire car etc. We were quick in providing all requested details. between a week and 10 days an independent inspector assessed the damage and gave a valuation to both our and the TP insurance company.
Since then, they will not pay. They think the independent valuation is wrong/too high as they found a much cheaper 'similar vehicle' on ebay!
We have provided evidence from the market that the valuation is in the ball-park - from the sales website of the company who converted our van.
We have even submitted a copy of our purchase order - we'd not had it 3 months!
We are still waiting with very limited information on progress etc. despite constant emails and calls to the accident handling company and trying to escalate it within their organisation.
They inform me that all communication with the TP insurer is via a'Portal' and so they don't communicate man to man.

Am at a loss what to do. It's a simple case, we've had to sign an extended lease for the hire car (which TP insurer is paying for) which was ~£200 per day! That's £18 frickin grand (on paper - that may not be what's actually being paid). Even so, it's wasted money.
The hire car doesn't have a tow-bar so we haven't been able to go away in our caravan for 3 months either - no compensation for that.

This seems a stupid state of affairs. We in limbo and it could have been sorted weeks ago. I don't see who is benefitting here.

Where can I get advice? RAC/AA, Ombudsman, Citizens advice, any friendly CC lawyers, etc.

Thoughts?

Verypissedoff

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
That's not good! As you say, it was no fault of yours.
If you are a member of the AA / RAC, I'd get them involved.
Good luck 🤞

Slick

Guru
I've never used a management company, but this is hardly an advert to do so in the future.

Was there any particular reason you chose one?

Also, it sounds more like they are negotiating, not refusing.

That said, I have an inherent distrust and dislike of that whole industry, so tread carefully, although I would imagine worming out of this is unlikely.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
As above sounds like 'negotiation', many years ago I had a no fault, felt like a game of who'd crumble first...
I hung out for a while but needed a car, so 'folded' earlier than I wished...
Daughter 'lost' about £2k on a rear no fault shunt...
It's just unfair :sad:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Are you negotiating with your insurance company or the third party insurance company.
You should be speaking to your company. What ever the third party company says is not relevant to your own first party settlement.

Gillstay

Über Member
You may be able to go to small claims and I would find a solicitor who deals with motoring claims on a regular basis.
Some will have a quick chat without fees and work out what your options are.
Your beef is as Beebo says with your insurance company. They are the ones you have a contract with.

presta

Guru
I don't understand all this palava, are you not insured fully comp? Whenever I've claimed I've always gone straight to my own insurance company, they pay out, and I don't even get to hear how they share costs with the third party, or who blames who. What's a management company for, and who's paying their cut? When I wrote my TR7 off it was about four months after I bought it, and AFAIR I got what I paid for it. (I was always with CIS, they were excellent for paying without quibble)

The only time I ever got involved with someone else's insurance was when I was knocked off the bike, and they (Tesco) paid without quibble too.

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Maybe @srw has some useful knowledge?

presta

Guru
The problem with shopping round for cheap insurance is that you don't find out what you've bought until you need to make a claim.

I used to have my house & contents insured with CIS too, but then about 4 years ago I got the renewal papers through the door which said the buildings side of the business had been sold off. When I Googled the new company it looked horrendous, with stories of them refusing to pay out claims until policy holders had got them within 24 hours of a court case, then suddenly backing down. Much as I had been happy with CIS, I decided to switch, and chose Saga because they were one of the best rated by Which, not because they were the cheapest.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

I've never used a management company, but this is hardly an advert to do so in the future.

Was there any particular reason you chose one?

Also, it sounds more like they are negotiating, not refusing.

That said, I have an inherent distrust and dislike of that whole industry, so tread carefully, although I would imagine worming out of this is unlikely.

No, the Insurance company employ an accident management company to do the dirty work with the 3rd party Insurance company....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

I don't understand all this palava, are you not insured fully comp? Whenever I've claimed I've always gone straight to my own insurance company, they pay out, and I don't even get to hear how they share costs with the third party, or who blames who. What's a management company for, and who's paying their cut? When I wrote my TR7 off it was about four months after I bought it, and AFAIR I got what I paid for it. (I was always with CIS, they were excellent for paying without quibble)

The only time I ever got involved with someone else's insurance was when I was knocked off the bike, and they (Tesco) paid without quibble too.

Yes fully comp.
I really don't understand wtf is going on here....

Top Bottom