Urgent advise needed - buying new car - are MGs reliable or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all

I went to look at some used cars this afternoon
Found a MG ZS Exclusive - 1.0 litre turbo engine

Loved it - not great performance but feels nice
ride a bit solid but OK

BUT
looking on the Internet it suggests that MGs are right at the bottom of the reliability surveys

so I was wondering if anyone has any experiences of them - good or bad

Thanks

Mike

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm don't know about the ZS, but we've just enjoyed a month with an MG5 SW electric hire car while Mrs D's car was being repaired.

It went well, was spacious and comfortable, but the fit and finish were wlmost laughably poor.

Inconsistent panel gaps right around the car, paint a visibly different shade on mirrors and bumpers, wonky dashboard with its own inconsistent gaps, woefully cheap interior materials (interior chrome trim was peeling in a couple of places on a 7000 mile old car), squeaks and rattles galore. It made my 7 year old Peugeot seem solid in comparison.

If the ZS is built and finished anything like the 5 it wouldn't be something I'd put my own money into.

OP
OP
E
I'm don't know about the ZS, but we've just enjoyed a month with an MG5 SW electric hire car while Mrs D's car was being repaired.

It went well, was spacious and comfortable, but the fit and finish were wlmost laughably poor.

Inconsistent panel gaps right around the car, paint a visibly different shade on mirrors and bumpers, wonky dashboard with its own inconsistent gaps, woefully cheap interior materials (interior chrome trim was peeling in a couple of places on a 7000 mile old car), squeaks and rattles galore. It made my 7 year old Peugeot seem solid in comparison.

If the ZS is built and finished anything like the 5 it wouldn't be something I'd put my own money into.

Thanks - very useful

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not saying don't go for it, but have a really close look at any that catch your eye. You might find a straight one, or they might have bucked their ideas up for that model, but make sure your eyes are wide open.

1.0 engine is small.

Not directly comparable but we are in the market for a car also.

We test drove a 1.2 petrol c5, driving around town was fine but biggest problem was when you put your foot down such as accelerating onto a motorway there was a delay as the car is heavy and the engine underpowered. The MPG is around 35mpg.

We also test drove a 1.5 diesel and it was nippy and responsive and didn’t have the same lack of willingness to go when needed. The MPG is also much better at around 47mpg (partly because it’s diesel).

Check out the honest John website as they have loads of owner reviews and real world facts.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
If the internet is telling you they're crap, I'd believe it tbh.

Personally I'd not touch one with yours and if buying new I suspect the depreciation will be eye-watering..

OP
OP
E
Thanks all

Not buying new - too expensive and I have always bought used anyway

looking at this MG - or possibly a Honda Civic
we have a Civic at the moment so we know the quality is good

probably going to decided today - hence the rush

Thanks
again

Mike

Jameshow

Veteran
What about a Suzuki vitara or sx4.

wafter

MG peaked at the Metro 6R4 in 1985 and have gone downhill ever since.
Indeed - I'd love one in hearing aid beige with a National Trust sticker in the back :tongue:

These small turbocharged engines normally have a tiny oil sump. I would recommend that you change oil every 3000 miles to help reduce engine wear. Neglect servicing at your peril
Yes, and typically wear out very quickly too. Nice idea on paper for reducing pumping losses / increasing thermal efficiency; in practice makes it more sensitive to care, overstressed and predisposed to wear..

As much as my efficiency-obsessed inner engineer cries foul; give me a big NA petrol engine any day of the week..

wafter

I just think of it as a totally different company that just happens to have a similar name and badge

but nothing to do with the real MG

True, however the current Chinese curators of the brand similarly have naff-all to do with it - other than having purchased the whole concern lock-stock-and-barrel for bugger all after it was asset-stripped and sold down the river by it's vulture-capitalst "saviours"..

6R4 notwithstanding I think you'd have to go back 50 years or more to find something with an MG badge that didn't deserve to be turned into bean tins..

Top Bottom