Urgent advise needed - buying new car - are MGs reliable or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
These small turbocharged engines normally have a tiny oil sump. I would recommend that you change oil every 3000 miles to help reduce engine wear. Neglect servicing at your peril

The famous Ford ECObang !

cm2mackem

Über Member
Had a MG HS for 3 years, no problems with it , traded it for a civic which I loved, MG gets about 35mpg, comfortable and every extra you can have, it's still not my civic and the build quality isn't the same as a three year old Honda,but my back and knees thank me, and the warrenty, which is transferable helps.

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
Hi all

I went to look at some used cars this afternoon
Found a MG ZS Exclusive - 1.0 litre turbo engine

Loved it - not great performance but feels nice
ride a bit solid but OK

BUT
looking on the Internet it suggests that MGs are right at the bottom of the reliability surveys

so I was wondering if anyone has any experiences of them - good or bad

Thanks

Mike

Suzuki Vitara would be a better option imho, bomb proof car

OP
OP
E
I think we have decided on the Honda
We know the make and model as we have the old version at the moment and SWMBO wasn't impressed by the MG anyway

taking it out for a test drive this morning - we have the kids this afternoon so the actual finalising may have to wait until tomorrow
or this evening - we shall see!

Hopefully it will be tomorrow as the salesman we have been talking to is off tomorrow and I don;t like him
young and fresh faced and keen and seems to have read ALL the books on sales techniques and tactics

the other day I dealt with a young oriental woman - still a sales-person but not as dislikable!

vickster

Legendary Member
Wrong car, your thinking of the old Jimny

Nope the old (convertible) Vitara was also one for sure

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Hopefully it will be tomorrow as the salesman we have been talking to is off tomorrow and I don;t like him
young and fresh faced and keen and seems to have read ALL the books on sales techniques and tactics
Tbh as soon as I find myself subject to any type of "tactics" I find it difficult not to treat the "tactician" with open contempt or walk away.

You may wish to read up on same of their tactics in an effort to avoid them; the big ones likely being credit and loading you up with overpriced services / periperhals / warranties..

Finally it's probably worth noting that generally the used car market is taking a hammering currently so go hard on the price as they're coming down and the dealer will likely be desperate..

Last edited:
Top Bottom