Any recommendations for lights under a tenner?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm after lights for my kids bikes to be seen rather than to see... its rare(ish) that they ride after dark, and if so they are on the pavement. I use a couple of my old lights on their bikes currently but it annoys me that I have to remember which child has which light fitting on their bike. Invariably I turn up to collect the child only to discover I have brought the wrong light with me so recently I've been putting my Cateye 410 on ... as the fitting is on the light - but I like to use that one myself as a spare.

What I'm after is something cheap ish (doesn't have to be under a tenner but it would help), easy to fit on in the dark, won't be left on their bikes which are usually locked up in school all day. They all have the smart superflash at the back which works brilliantly, so I'm after something similar for the front.

Tynan

Veteran
wiggle does budget sets doesn't it, sale on too

Do they wear helmets? If so I got these for my kids. Beauty of them is they are unobtrusive and so always on the helmet so it doesn't matter about remebering them or swopping bikes or being worried that they might fall off or get stolen. They do front ones as well, though my two have small headtorches which go on the helmet. You can also get these and this is quite neat, front and back in one. The only problem with the last two and why I didn't get them is they are quite easy to break, sticking up as they do whereas the Cateye is a tough little beast.

I did get cheap light sets for my kids but they always fell off or got busted due to the way they use their bikes, helmet ones, so far, have worked really well.

Tynan

Veteran
does that first one mount wel to a helmet crackle?

I've never really manage to visualise how that gets used, can't be doing with anything that moves about

Depends on the helmet.

It just wraps around and hangs down. The toggle to the left is magnetic, you just put that against the light to turn it on and change mode. It's so light it doesn't swing about so you don't feel it.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have got a couple of those little lights (on my helmet + spares) but I was looking for something slightly brighter, and that would light the path a little - just a few meters ahead.
They won't be left on their bikes so won't get bashed .. but therefore need to be easy to mount.

summerdays said:
I have got a couple of those little lights (on my helmet + spares) but I was looking for something slightly brighter, and that would light the path a little - just a few meters ahead.
They won't be left on their bikes so won't get bashed .. but therefore need to be easy to mount.

Ah no! I misunderstood then. They won't do that.

Tynan

Veteran
Crackle said:
Depends on the helmet.

It just wraps around and hangs down. The toggle to the left is magnetic, you just put that against the light to turn it on and change mode. It's so light it doesn't swing about so you don't feel it.

ta

top picture!

please don't tell me them was taken specially

Tynan said:
ta

top picture!

please don't tell me them was taken specially

Well...digicam to hand, the model didn't move as he was engrossed in the Simpsons movie - the work of a minute and it's true what they say about a picture being worth a thousand words.

Summerdays - last suggestion. What about a cheap Blacks LED headtorch £7.99.
They just stretch around the helmet and have many uses. My two take them everywhere, sleepovers, holidays etc...

xroads

Wilkinsons (Wilko) are doing a front and rear pair of LED lights including batteries all for £4. These are re-badged smart LED lights.

Danny

Legendary Member
Edinburgh cycles have a set of Cateye LD120 lamps on sale for £7.95.

These are only basic LED lights and personally I would want to spend a bit more for lights for my child, as I want to make sure he can be seen by car drivers. On the other hand you don't want to spend too much as children are prone to losing or breaking their lights.

simoncc

xroads said:
Wilkinsons (Wilko) are doing a front and rear pair of LED lights including batteries all for £4. These are re-badged smart LED lights.

These are fantastic value. I bought loads last year at this price. Sainsbury's also have a good set of conventional lights on special offer a £7.

bonj2

i've got one of these you can have for free if you like as i never use it, although the postage'd probably be almost as much as it costs on CRC.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm toying with getting them Electron Nano 9 now... the point being I want all 3 to have the same light fitting so I don't have to think about which light fits their bike on the rare occasions that they are cycling in the dark (though with all this rain and snow its being getting dark enough for lights even at school pick up time yesterday!!)

Anyone got anything bad to say about that light? (yeah I know its over a tenner).

Top Bottom