Any roofers here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

I`m contemplating having the flat roof on my standard sized single garage replaced with a pitched roof, anybody done anything similar? Looking at rough ideas on cost etc..............

stephec

Legendary Member
We've got an extension with a flat roof that's about the same area as a single garage.

Three years ago we were quoted about £3500 to stick a pitched roof on it.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
[QUOTE 4038552, member: 9609"]can you not just jack one side up. ie.. Cut beams from wall, jack up 12" fix backinto wall with some extenders, make good the new gap - couple of weekends graft, £200 for bits and bobs - fortnight in Barbados with the savings.

Seriously,[/QUOTE]
Alternatively, leave the leaking flat roof there and put a monopitch corrugated aluminium roof above. You can get sheets at least as long as the width of a single garage, and fixing it down is very simple You probably need a fall of no more least ten degrees, and you will need one or two intermediate supports across the span, but it's way, way better than felt and an awful lot cheaper than tiles. You can get sheets that are colour coated. I've used them on a building that was the size of a single garage without any previous experience, and it's a doddle.

See here... http://www.plannja.com/international/

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I did it on a flat roof extension, I did all the work myself except put the slates on, I can't remember exactly what it cost but from a materials point of view it won't be a lot; roof trusses will be the easiest way, one every 600mm, make up a gable panel to clad, felt, tiles, fascia, soffit, bit of rainwater goods, flashing against ex. building - job's a good un.

Don't forget to tell the council.

MarkF

Guru
They all do.

I imported, sold & fitted Firestone EPDM flat roof rubber membrane for many years, the material n.e.v.e.r failed.

If the substrate is in serviceable condition then it's possible to go over, rather than re-decking, there are several (all simple) ways to install it.

OP, can't see a sound reason for an expensive pitched roof on the garage, unless it's an aesthetic preference, then fair enough.

pplpilot

Guru
we had a dormer flat replaced with a pitch about the size of a small garage £4k

MarkF

Guru
I would take the opportunity re-deck the garage with quality exterior osb/ply.

Guesstimate
6.5m x 3.5m EPDM Firestone
5L water based adhesive (For the flat deck)
2.5L Contact adhesive (For perimeter)
7 x 2.4m x 1.2m Ext osb/ply boards
Trims to finish and gutter edge strips.
£500

+ 2 days pay for a good chippy. (Double that for a pro-EPDM fitting company)

No seams and in the extremely unlikely event of a tear/puncture (I can count on my fingers the amount of patch kits sent out since 1988), 5 mins to repair just like a cycle tube.

Ta-da!

bond1_lg.JPG

bond4_lg.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom