Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got snapped at Fountains Abbey (Ripon) parkrun the other week,.
Quite a few of my fellow members ventured up the A1 on Saturday
Hope you can see this?
Simon Newton ( 8th from right; back row, tall, thin, shaven head, blue vest) won it @ 17:17

4628169334.jpg

Trunce 3 this evening

But, what the heck, keep going! (I was far enough back to get a rest at the kissing gate)

At present, it's just a self-timed 36:48, but that's almost 2 minutes off my race 2 time ^_^

There may be photos to follow?

Tonights total can't have been far off that
I remember when 120 -130 was a good turn out

380 finishers!?!?
I had expected it to start dying back a bit by this round

Officially 135th @ 36:49 (still paying for slow starts)

Various albums here, if they can be seen??
https://www.facebook.com/groups/192425154135240/

Last edited:
Here's a wonderful blog-page detailing one ladys first attempt at the Trunce

https://runningscaredsite.wordpress.com/2016/05/16/trouncing-the-trunce/

Plus, a video of the entire course
The first river crossing is at about 6:00
The major climb; 08:30 - 10:10
The woods; 14:25 - 16:10
River 2; 16:30 - 16:35
River 3; 22:16 'ish'

Stephenite

Membå
@GrumpyGregry @MrGrumpy
Thanks for the replies, chaps.
I saw a different physio today. He's a bit of a mate and a runner/triathlete. He also appears to know his stuff. And he reckons that I won't permanently damage my foot if I run the 18km on Saturday. So, I'm going to give it a bash. I can always walk... or hop! ..or crawl.

I've been told to stretch a lot. Do calf-raises where the heel drops below the horizontal. Roll on a golf ball (it wasn't poss. to buy one golf ball I had to buy 15). I've also got to roll a hot bottle over my shins because they are all knotted. Today there was lots of dry-needling into the poor tight muscles in my feet. I'm going to have an ultrasound and, maybe, an MR in the future. There has been talk about bursitis which would respond to cortisone injections.

I was on the verge of investing in some low-drop runners today. Either Altra or, the other end of the cushioning spectrum, Hoka. May still do it. But i think i ought to run saturday in my Kayanos.

I'm quite satisfied with the visit today. Though i will suffer on saturday i would be very disappointed if i didn't give it a go. Wish me luck!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
@GrumpyGregry @MrGrumpy
Thanks for the replies, chaps.
I saw a different physio today. He's a bit of a mate and a runner/triathlete. He also appears to know his stuff. And he reckons that I won't permanently damage my foot if I run the 18km on Saturday. So, I'm going to give it a bash. I can always walk... or hop! ..or crawl.

I've been told to stretch a lot. Do calf-raises where the heel drops below the horizontal. Roll on a golf ball (it wasn't poss. to buy one golf ball I had to buy 15). I've also got to roll a hot bottle over my shins because they are all knotted. Today there was lots of dry-needling into the poor tight muscles in my feet. I'm going to have an ultrasound and, maybe, an MR in the future. There has been talk about bursitis which would respond to cortisone injections.

I was on the verge of investing in some low-drop runners today. Either Altra or, the other end of the cushioning spectrum, Hoka. May still do it. But i think i ought to run saturday in my Kayanos.

I'm quite satisfied with the visit today. Though i will suffer on saturday i would be very disappointed if i didn't give it a go. Wish me luck!
fwiw I use low-drops on treadmills but keep my Kayanos for the road. My trail shoes are lower drop than my Kayanos.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
I ran the Mow Cop Killer Mile on Thursday night, in about 9:09, which I think will put me comfortably inside the top 50 when the results come out... "Brutal" is the only word that I can really think of to do it justice.

Edit: 9:10, 27th place out of 525.

Last edited:
I didn't ParkRun this morning
I've been on early-turns, Monday-Friday, so up for 03:00
I guess I just fancied a lay-in, which was meant to be 07:00, but I turned back over:blush:
I'm not used to those shifts at the moment, as 9 of my past 11 weeks have been on 'late-turns', so the body wanted a lay-in, even if the mind said 'ParkRun'

I ran the Mow Cop Killer Mile on Thursday night, in about 9:09, which I think will put me comfortably inside the top 50 when the results come out... "Brutal" is the only word that I can really think of to do it justice.
Cheshires equivilant of Trooper Lane!!

It doesn't appear as steep looking downhill, but I know it is, with the variances in gradient
http://cyclinguphill.com/mow-cop-the-killer-mile/

http://thehelloftheworth.blogspot.co.uk/p/2-trooper-lane.html

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
parkrun with a plan on Saturday. easy-hard-easy-hard-easy, as this was a five-run week.

reality was I got into a race with a gurl, half my age, in the third km. so it went easy-hard-easier-hard-hardest. She got a PB by over a minute, and I got to discover that my max HR is actually 177 bpm, attained over the last 50m or so in a flat-out, "I haven't run this fast since playing rugby twenty years ago", sprint finish. She was very happy and I thought I'd vomit. Lots of speeches before the off and lots of cake afterwards as it was Amager Fælled's 7th birthday.

My nemeses were side-lined as both were running cph marathon today.

Watch the finishers from the elite women until the four hour pacers came through. Lot of runners blew up in the last 200m, the sight of the finish line seemed their undoing, but many were helped to the end by their fellows, but one young lady had to be carted away on a stretcher. It was extremely hot and lots were obviously dehydrated as a result. When they started at 09:30 I set off from the village in the opposite direction and put in a nice slow 12km run.

Didn't have hat or sunblock and got a bit burnt as a result. Stupid boy.

Stephenite

Membå
I've actually made it to be in the profile page image from Saturday's parkrun! Muggins is on the far right of the shot. Anton, who I was chasing, is in black in the middle, and "the man in the red shirt" is in the red shirt.

View attachment 128754
When I saw that image first time I thought it was in Wales. 'Amager Fælled' seems a bit welsh to me. I skim read the rest of it and it didn't register with me it was Danish until i read your latest post.

Stephenite

Membå
I did the 18km run on Saturday. Lovely weather. Great route. Well, most of it. The last 3 or 4 km were hard going for me and my poor feet being as it was tarmac. I'm happy with the 2 hr 14 min. No training and suffering from footknack meant it was a struggle (as i said) towards the end and walked a few times. Legs are sore all over, and the problem foot could be worse than it is, i feel. This was the longest i've run in, perhaps, 30 years. It has planted the seed for wanting to do longer distance runs. As long as they are off the tarmac.

DSC_0036.JPG

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I did the 18km run on Saturday. Lovely weather. Great route. Well, most of it. The last 3 or 4 km were hard going for me and my poor feet being as it was tarmac. I'm happy with the 2 hr 14 min. No training and suffering from footknack meant it was a struggle (as i said) towards the end and walked a few times. Legs are sore all over, and the problem foot could be worse than it is, i feel. This was the longest i've run in, perhaps, 30 years. It has planted the seed for wanting to do longer distance runs. As long as they are off the tarmac.

View attachment 129412
Top efforts. Hope DOMS doesn't get you and the heel behaves.

Stephenite

Membå
DOMS hasn't kicked in yet. So I suppose I've dodged that bullet. The heel and PF feel much better now than before the run, surprisingly. A good dose of speculation here but maybe the two hours of pounding broke up calcium deposits within the fascia around the heel. I saw my physio today and he remarked the foot is much more relaxed. I am very happy. I thought my burgeoning running career was at an end. Looking around now for a trail half-marathon type thing. :smile:
Edit: May have to put some training in beforehand. I got away with this one. Might not be so lucky next time.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
DOMS hasn't kicked in yet. So I suppose I've dodged that bullet. The heel and PF feel much better now than before the run, surprisingly. A good dose of speculation here but maybe the two hours of pounding broke up calcium deposits within the fascia around the heel. I saw my physio today and he remarked the foot is much more relaxed. I am very happy. I thought my burgeoning running career was at an end. Looking around now for a trail half-marathon type thing. :smile:
Edit: May have to put some training in beforehand. I got away with this one. Might not be so lucky next time.
I can point you at a long XC run in Sweden if you like. Lidingöloppet. Biggest XC race in the world. and only slightly longer than a half. It is on my bucket list. There is even a Norwegian version of the website! http://www.lidingoloppet.se/en-GB/

Top Bottom