Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Thanks, I guessed that...I meant more distances and kit, I.e. Will I be fine in bob and jersey, or should I look at a tri suit

A tri suit is good because it has less padding than normal cycling shorts so is more comfortable to run in.

Otherwise, you have to decide what is going to work best for you - cycling in running shorts, or running in cycling shorts. I rode 34km to Margate to do the parkrun there yesterday and decided to wear my running shorts - I'm happy enough to do that distance without padding but YMMV.

I enjoy these informal duathlons, cycling some distance to a different parkrun. Only trouble is I'm not very good at setting off in time and often arrive late to the start of the run. Which is exactly what happened yesterday - after a wind and rain-affected ride, I got to Margate at about 9.12. The course starts with a 1km loop round the bandstand then a bigger 4km loop. By the time I'd changed into my running shoes and got going, the tail walker was already coming back past the start line. And by the time I was starting the big loop, the lead runner was approaching the finish line. Didn't finish last though - soon overtook the tail walker and a few more stragglers on the way. I managed to keep up a good pace for the first 2km, knocking them off well inside 10mins, but then the 'brick' effect started to kick in and I got slower and slower. Finished with an official time of 39.07, and an unofficial time by my own watch of 26.36. It was good fun though.

I'm up in Lancashire at a wedding next weekend so will aim to do a local parkrun while I'm there. Trying to decide which one to go for - there are three within easy reach of where we're staying... one of them looks like a fast course, the other two look more scenic, and one of them is properly lumpy. Hmmm...

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Where in lancs?
Preston is a good one. 3x laps of the park and pushing 300 runners

Preston is the nearest one to where we're staying so that's the one I'll most likely do. The number of runners does slightly put me off though - I tend to prefer smaller events - but it looks like a nice course. Good to have a personal recommendation too - thanks!

The other two I'm looking at are Cuerden Valley (very hilly!) and Whitton. Tbh, they all look good - shame I can't do all of them.

stephec

Legendary Member
Preston is the nearest one to where we're staying so that's the one I'll most likely do. The number of runners does slightly put me off though - I tend to prefer smaller events - but it looks like a nice course. Good to have a personal recommendation too - thanks!

The other two I'm looking at are Cuerden Valley (very hilly!) and Whitton. Tbh, they all look good - shame I can't do all of them.
I know a few people who've done Cuerden Valley and they love it.

macky

Cuerden is hard.
Preston has people that fin between 16&46 min. Some even walk their dogs and it's three laps. Up hill and down the other side.

SWSteve

Guru
A tri suit is good because it has less padding than normal cycling shorts so is more comfortable to run in.

Otherwise, you have to decide what is going to work best for you - cycling in running shorts, or running in cycling shorts. I rode 34km to Margate to do the parkrun there yesterday and decided to wear my running shorts - I'm happy enough to do that distance without padding but YMMV.

I enjoy these informal duathlons, cycling some distance to a different parkrun. Only trouble is I'm not very good at setting off in time and often arrive late to the start of the run. Which is exactly what happened yesterday - after a wind and rain-affected ride, I got to Margate at about 9.12. The course starts with a 1km loop round the bandstand then a bigger 4km loop. By the time I'd changed into my running shoes and got going, the tail walker was already coming back past the start line. And by the time I was starting the big loop, the lead runner was approaching the finish line. Didn't finish last though - soon overtook the tail walker and a few more stragglers on the way. I managed to keep up a good pace for the first 2km, knocking them off well inside 10mins, but then the 'brick' effect started to kick in and I got slower and slower. Finished with an official time of 39.07, and an unofficial time by my own watch of 26.36. It was good fun though.

I'm up in Lancashire at a wedding next weekend so will aim to do a local parkrun while I'm there. Trying to decide which one to go for - there are three within easy reach of where we're staying... one of them looks like a fast course, the other two look more scenic, and one of them is properly lumpy. Hmmm...

Thanks, I'll bear padding in mind.

YMMV?

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Managed to break the 50min mark for 10k , 49.10 min . Chuffed with that but was defo pushing it , nearly puking lol

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
It's used to acknowledge that another person's experience may differ from your own. In this case, I'm acknowledging that other cyclists may not be as happy as me to ride long distances without padding in their shorts.

Top Bottom