Any Saab owners?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Human nature being what it is if you, or your mate, or that bloke down the pub, have had problems with an Nnnnnn Xxxx then all Nnnnnn Xxxx's are piles of (badge-engineered) garbage.

The joy, some would say the art, of bangernomics is finding the Nnnnnn Xxxx that wasn't one of the dodgy ones and has survived fault-free, or faults fixed, into dotage. So you can drive then it into the ground.

Well it works for me anyway. Even with GM-era badge-engineered Saab 900's and 9-3's! ;)

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I think they've done quite a bit of engineering to be fair, not just aome wood and leather. No driven one though
Just like Saab did with the EDIT: 900 93 and 9-3

Those Jag's drive quite well for Ford's btw. Handsome car too.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Big difference between the 93 (ninety three) and the 9-3, this is a 1956 93

IMG_50051-380x253.jpg

Replaced by the quite similar 96 with the estate version being the 95 again being quite different to the 9-5

This is a 95 (Ninety five)

I that the 3 cylinder 2 stroke? Don't think I've ever seen one in the wild, though see the odd V4 still

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Last edited:

KneesUp

Guru
I don't have time to read the whole thread, so I'll TMN myself in advance.

However:

OH bought a GM Saab 900 (the first GM one) when she needed a cheap car quickly - she gave £500 for it I think. It was the 2 litre non-turbo petrol. It had about 150k miles on, I think. It had a patchy service history and we had it two years and it never missed a beat: it started when you needed it to start and stopped when you wanted it to stop. It took a fridge freezer whole, and also shifted more stock than I care to calculate. I had a much newer car at the time, but that let us down a few times (same fault incorrectly diagnosed to be fair to that car) but we always knew the Saab would go.

And, on top of that, because she only paid £500 for it, and in the end we didn't use it much we never serviced it either - not so much as an oil change. And it still soldiered on. No rattles, no squeaks, no rough running. It just worked.

The 1.9 diesels are the same engine (more or less) as in any other 1.9 diesel, and it's ultimately a Fiat design. These have their faults like all modern diesels; it's essential to change the timing belt and water pump at the correct intervals, and if you run them around town you will probably get a blocked EGR valve. A good old 'Italian Tune Up' keeps them sweet: I had the 2.4 version of the engine (the same thing but with 5 cylinders instead of 4) and as I was much younger then I drove it in a more 'spirited' way and never had a problem. You will read horror stories about the 1.9 diesel, but remember that it's fitted to a heck of a lot of cars and vans - every 1.9 diesel Vauxhall, Fiat, Alfa and Saab have basically the same engine, albeit with different 'extras' (turbos and intercoolers of varying sizes and different software).

The idea that Saab's are basically Vauxhalls is slightly unfair. Saab were supposed to build cars based on the same sized Vauxhall, but they weren't very good at following instructions and changed so much that there are surprisingly few similarities. For example, Saab decided they didn't like the Sat Nav General Motors provided them, so rather than do as GM told them, or even write a new front-end for the same basic program, they wrote their own Sat Nav code from scratch.

The 9-2 sold well here, so parts won't be a problem. Mechanically there are a lot of Vauxhall parts, and although the panels and all sorts are different, there are plenty of scrapped ones about to keep you going for years.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Saab decided they didn't like the Sat Nav General Motors provided them, so rather than do as GM told them, or even write a new front-end for the same basic program, they wrote their own Sat Nav code from scratch.

A minor off topic point, the Saab SDAL system used NAVTEQ's open standard, Saab also used Denso and Kenwood in the later years. As far as I know (working for NAVTEQ) they did not write their own navigation code although they would have contacted out the front end design.

KneesUp

Guru
A minor off topic point, the Saab SDAL system used NAVTEQ's open standard, Saab also used Denso and Kenwood in the later years. As far as I know (working for NAVTEQ) they did not write their own navigation code although they would have contacted out the front end design.
Perhaps the article I read used journalistic licence then - it certainly made the point that GM were furious at the duplication of effort (and cost) but SAAB were adamant that the GM system wasn't good enough for a SAAB :smile:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
t SAAB were adamant that the GM system wasn't good enough for a SAAB :smile:

They were right about that!

Top Bottom