Any Shops or Dealers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grumpyoldgit

Über Member
Just getting back into bikes.I am seriously considering a 60,s racing bike.Hand built frame,all original Campagnolo groupset etc.Suggestions on makes & sources gratefully accepted.Budget??I want value for money^_^,ie dont mind paying for top equipment.
Size wise I ride a 56,how does that equate to the old frame sizing?

raindog

er.....
Why do you want a bike from the 60s? That's going back a hell of a way. You can buy hand built steel frames new, and you can get gorgeous steel framed bikes from the 80's or 90s with modern campag gear for decent prices. Unless it was to put in a collection and just ride it once a month I'd never buy a bike that old.
56 is about 22 inches I think.

*1, I wouldn't to ride a bike of that vintage as my regular steed.

However, I would very happily ride one of these every day; http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/shop/1631/

Retro frame set, modern bits and bobs = stunning machine :wub:

colnago_master_pr82.jpg

sidevalve

Über Member
As a confirmed "old bike" lover I would say if you want a 60's bike go out and find one, ride it and enjoy it. You're not buying a penny farthing and it will be well capable of use in any situation you want to put it in. The brakes may not be up to hydraulic disc standard but that just means planning ahead a bit [the roads would be a lot safer if everyone did the same]. Oddly, index gears, carbon frame and disc brakes are NOT a legal requirement [as some seem to think] and you will have a superb piece of machinery and a nice, useable slice of cycling history. Having said all that You will have to be very carefull about the bike you buy and, as you realize it wont be cheap. I agree about the frame size, 22 - 23 BUT any bike of this age [and at the price you will be paying] a test ride is vital.
Good luck.

OP
OP
G

grumpyoldgit

Über Member
Why do you want a bike from the 60s? That's going back a hell of a way. You can buy hand built steel frames new, and you can get gorgeous steel framed bikes from the 80's or 90s with modern campag gear for decent prices. Unless it was to put in a collection and just ride it once a month I'd never buy a bike that old.
56 is about 22 inches I think.

Usual reasons,I want what I couldnt have then.It would only be for occasional sunny days,as I have others for daily use.

Top Bottom