Any suggestions on LCD tvs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milo

Guru
What?

domtyler

Über Member
simonali said:
Also in a showroom you're probably only a couple of feet away from the screen, something that wouldn't happen at home.

Personally, I'd buy Panansonic. I've had 3 or 4 of their TVs and they're all still going strong.

That's a funny point actually, since we got the new one I have rediscovered my boyhood preference for sitting on the rug in front of the telly. Looking up at the big screen from a couple of feet away, especially at HD pictures is a real treat for the eyes.

HelenD123

Guru
Melvil said:
Cheers, guys, I shall investigate.

Can I also ask why so many of the images on the TV's in the showroom look so 'pixelated' - is that normal? It seems up close the picture quality is a bit worse than a vacuum tube tv?

My parents were told you need to match the size of the screen to the distance you will be sitting away from it and then this doesn't happen, or rather you don't notice it. Seems to be true. I'd also been really disappointed by the picture quality when I'd seen LCDs in a showroom.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i've noticed that the apparent size of the screen of my 32" crt telly is, when sat on the sofa, the same as the bbc iplayer screen when using the laptop.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
HelenD123 said:
My parents were told you need to match the size of the screen to the distance you will be sitting away from it and then this doesn't happen, or rather you don't notice it. Seems to be true. I'd also been really disappointed by the picture quality when I'd seen LCDs in a showroom.

screen size vs distance is the RLJing or helmet argument in the tv world ;)! TBH a lot of the LCDs I've seen in shops have had poor source material and looked disappointing.

P.S. Melvil, widescreen footy is much better if you haven't got a widescreen already!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Some of the iPlayer stuff has been low pq though. I know VM and net iPlayer are getting some HD sometime soon though. Should all help. The one that stuck in my mind was the Top Gear Polar Challenge.

simonali

Guru
domtyler said:
That's a funny point actually, since we got the new one I have rediscovered my boyhood preference for sitting on the rug in front of the telly. Looking up at the big screen from a couple of feet away, especially at HD pictures is a real treat for the eyes.

Recommended viewing distances are reduced with HD sources, I believe. I guess this is so you get full benefit of the better PQ?

domtyler

Über Member
miloat said:
I just prefer the picture. If you look you will see the IMO. No need to be smarmy about it.

Have you seen HD material on a nice LCD? I will wager that you haven't. Either that or you are the type of person who was saying that colour spoilt telly as it took all the fun out of guessing what the real colours were! ;)

Anyone who has seen the crystal clarity and breathtaking pictures on a big LCD/plasma would not be saying give me back my CRT. IMO! ;)

Top Bottom