Any suggestions on LCD tvs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
For me LCDs and other flatscreen technologies are like an analogy someone made of digital tv to analogue. It's like inside toilets vs outside toilets when they came along for the masses. There are some advantages and disadvantages of both but it's not like most people are going to want to go back!

marinyork

T&T wasn't in HD but next week's matches are. I think with the excellent FA CUP final coverage seeing AH's nostrils was about right.

Night Train

Maker of Things
CRT Is better quality then LCD but technology is gaining. Have a look on the Channel 5 Gadget show website for their recommendations.

One thing I would say is that you should measure the visible picture on your existing tv for height and width and compare that with those that you are looking at.
Forget the diagonal measurement. My old 24" CRT has a bigger image (15" high) then my new 26" LCD (13" high) and it is noticably smaller even though I am sat closer to the LCD.

I have a Toshiba WLT66. It is OK but not wonderful. I got it because it was cheap on a sale and better then others at the same price. I find the remote control is tempermental though.

Don't buy an LCD over 37" as the crystals can't change colour quick enough and you get motion blur. No matter what you read or get told!

Over 37" and up to 60" plasma is by far the better prospect. Especially Pioneer panels. Panasonic second choice.

Over 60" get a projector, DLP better than LCD again for the reasons above.

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Naw, I just want a fairly medium size screen, something that doesn't become the focal point of the room but on the other hand isn't titchy.

Very good point youse mentioned about the distance from the telly. We'd be about fourteen feet away so as you say pixellation might well be reduced.

OP
OP
M

Melvil

sheddy said:
or get a nearly new flatscreen CRT from charedee shoppe

Jeez, what's your postcode, Sheddy??? My local chazza's might have flatscreen tv's in around about 2040! :laugh::blush:

domtyler

Über Member
Lardyboy said:
Don't buy an LCD over 37" as the crystals can't change colour quick enough and you get motion blur. No matter what you read or get told!

Over 37" and up to 60" plasma is by far the better prospect. Especially Pioneer panels. Panasonic second choice.

Over 60" get a projector, DLP better than LCD again for the reasons above.

Yes, there is definitely some motion blur on mine, it doesn't have the motion flow gadgetry and you can see it if you look closely in some fast moving imagery. I don't really see it as a big problem though as it you really have to be looking for it and it only happens if there is very fast moving pictures. In general day to day viewing you don't see it.

domtyler said:
Yes, there is definitely some motion blur on mine, it doesn't have the motion flow gadgetry and you can see it if you look closely in some fast moving imagery. I don't really see it as a big problem though as it you really have to be looking for it and it only happens if there is very fast moving pictures. In general day to day viewing you don't see it.

It's nearly always down to each person and their perception. Personally I see the "blur" quite easily, it's really bad on Lcd's over 37", but not so bad at 32". It's better if you've got Blu-Ray because all the lines (i.e.1080) are definitive not being "guessed at" by the tv which is what you get with "normal" HD (i.e.720) or terrestrial /digital 9 (i.e. 625).

Uncle Mort said:
Can you tell the difference between HD and upscaled SD at 32 inch? I'd struggle to be honest.

I did post earlier that the smaller the lcd screen the better it will look. But most people tend to go for the biggest lcd screens they can afford and not think about what programming they are predominately using the screen for. If picture quality comes into the equation then plasma wins every time. But you can't get a plasma under 37", so if size is an issue and you are going HD then an LCD is the only choice.

Uncle Mort said:
No really, I meant 32" and I wasn't trying to cause a fight :angry:

I'd agree that anything above (for consumer units) there would be little contest and that beyond that you'd need a plasma (which I have at home) or a good LCD.

But, even for HD sourced stuff, I really could not tell the difference between a decent 32" CRT and an LCD (and we use them both at work).

I will agree with you UM about CRT. I've yet to see any small screen that can beat CRT. Its a pity you can't get a 60" HDCRT that would fit in a house! :becool:

simonali

Guru
They never managed to get over 37" for CRT. Something to do with the earth's magnetic fields affecting the picture!

I haven't gone flatscreen (in the lounge) yet, due to my CRT costing £1200 only a few years ago. :sad:

marinyork

Uncle Mort said:
Can you tell the difference between HD and upscaled SD at 32 inch? I'd struggle to be honest.

I can certainly tell the difference between upscaled SD and HD at 32 inches. Upscaled SD can certainly be a huge improvement but it's no 720p, let alone 1080i or 1080p. Channel4 HD has mostly stuff upscaled by channel 4, it only has a very small number of hours of HD. You can clearly see the difference over bog standard c4 but it's got nothing on the proper HD material that's on (which is why there are endless complaints about that particular channel). SkyHD is the same. Sometimes they don't do a great job of upscalling. On Sky1 some muppet at sky thought it'd be a good idea to crop futurama and the simpsons, stretch it and the playing around actually makes it look worse than watching it in standard.

Depends on the blur. On some of the newer LCD tvs people on some forums have complained about the movement being "unnaturally smooth". After watching football in HD, I was pmsl at that one. I am far from that situation, sounds like they have too much money to burn! HDtv can be far from smooth too, BBC HD lags on tv cards as does ITV HD's bloody gerkin/buckingham palace/graveyard loop but that's another matter.

Top Bottom