any thoughts on a new tattoo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
im getting another (already got two tribal things on upper arms )and the new one started off with me looking at dragons and stuff ,kinda chinese ying\yang \ tigers alongside ,however iv seen a few really nice samurai geisha ones and its on my back so itl b kinda big ,iv heard that japanese artwork is kinda frowned upon unless your yakuza (esp if its a back piece )
im pretty certain thats the way il go unless somebody says not too ,so at present im in between getting the geisha thing or iv seen some pretty cool "manga" type ones (think the film cartoon sequence in kill bill
any comments?

Scruffmonster

Über Member
Only that you should definitely involve the internet when choosing to brand yourself for life.

If there are artists here, great. Yakuza gang members, even better.

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
Only that you should definitely involve the internet when choosing to brand yourself for life.

If there are artists here, great. Yakuza gang members, even better.
thanks for the constructive advice :rolleyes:
im gona "brand myself for life "as u put it anyway ,im just wanting comments (apart from ones like urs )

Scruffmonster

Über Member
I don't understand why random strangers will want to comment on what you get tattooed on your body. Or more to the point, why you'd want to ask them. But that's just me. Are you actually suggesting that if someone here says 'Dont get x, y or z as I find it garish/offensive/silly/rude/wrong' that you'd pay attention to them? That's odd.

I also don't understand what kind of person would frown upon Japanese artwork on a non gang member.

I'm not averse to tattoo's, I have two. One I'd get again if I had a clean body again, the other I wouldn't.

Anyways, each to their own.

Gary E

Veteran
I think "personal Graffiti" is just that, a personal choice.

I'm not at all against tattoos, if I knew absolutely that I'd always like a particular design I'd get it done.

But if I'd rushed into it when I was 20 I'd now be sporting the name of a pop start that I don't listen to any more next to a football team I don't follow any more, both of which would be next to the name of my ex-wife :wacko:

I keep getting this mental image of a frail OAP with "HATE" permanently inked accross his knuckles :laugh:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
If I had to I'd get one on my arm I'd get..... don't laugh..... the Intercity Swallow logo.

It has been obsolete for years so wouldn't date and I have liked it all these years, it is small, simple and what's more, hardly anyone would know what it was.

No-one should comment on anyone's tattoos without knowing the persons reasons for having them, IMO.

I know some don't like them, some do and some don't care one or the other, but not liking something is not a valid reason to chastise the personal choice of another person.

*PING* Scruffmonster, I'm not having a pop at you here BTW, just commenting in general.

I have multiple tattoo's, and each has a reason to me, some of which, (most perhaps), would have no significance to anyone else. Granted some have evolved and some have been covered up, but that's one of the great things IMO, if you grow not to like something then you can evolve it into something else. Among many I have an upper sleeve/chest plate on one side incorporating two koi, but it only started life when I was 16 as a small rose. I'm now happy with it, but would like to evolve my other side to balance things out, but sadly I haven't got the funds presently to do anything with it.

There is very little in life as personal as a tattoo, and if the owner of it considers it was a planned thought out design then happy days to them.

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
I'm having six little ducks on my foot, or shoulder.

Careful you don't walk through a fairground :blink:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I also don't understand what kind of person would frown upon Japanese artwork on a non gang member.
If you're taking influence from other cultures, its also good to be aware of the etiquette attached?
I have a buddhist, sak yant style, mantra tattooed on the inside of my ankle. I thought of it's position, It's 'there', in plain view, when I meditate. It helps me to centre myself.
Sak Yant style tattoos are supposed to be a no-no below the waist.
Anyway. 1 day to my 46th birthday. 2 days since my latest ink.
BIG bright red "Gambatte" down my right tricep. A series of runners forming a band, defining the base of a half sleeve and some smoke/flames to join up a couple of disparate skulls on the bicep.
:smile:
Consideration now going on a little something else. ^_^

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
thanks for the constructive advice :rolleyes:
im gona "brand myself for life "as u put it anyway ,im just wanting comments (apart from ones like urs )
OK, Comment: if you must get a tattoo don't get a big one that will take up half off your back, get a smaller one, in a hidden place.

Top Bottom