Any tips for cheap train tickets?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
Train prices in this country are obscene. No wonder people use their cars so much.

It was better when we ran them as a public good - the more people use the train, the more we all benefit, even if we personally are not using the train. Ergo, we should all contribute to the cost of running trains because we all benefit.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Jump the turnstile and run like ****!

So long as you don't look like a Brasilian plumber you should be fine

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Train prices in this country are obscene. No wonder people use their cars so much.

It was better when we ran them as a public good - the more people use the train, the more we all benefit, even if we personally are not using the train. Ergo, we should all contribute to the cost of running trains because we all benefit.

In BR days, there was an even wider variety of fares. And walk on fares were still the most expensive.

KneesUp

Guru
In BR days, there was an even wider variety of fares. And walk on fares were still the most expensive.
There were of course a variety of fares. But rail fares weren't as I recall dearer than driving. I had a friend once who often found it cheaper to fly from London to Manchester than get the train if she needed to travel at relatively short notice. That can't be right.

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
There were of course a variety of fares. But rail fares weren't as I recall dearer than driving. I had a friend once who often found it cheaper to fly from London to Manchester than get the train if she needed to travel at relatively short notice. That can't be right.
My sister routinely flies from Manchester to Exeter rather than driving it because it is cheaper and as for rail tickets and driving, we too have found it cheaper to drive especially if there is more than one of you. And don't bring up buses. I have only once used the bus to get to my local town and back. 6 miles each way cost me £6.60. Driving in would have been cheaper (I want able to cycle that day which I normally do), and there is free parking in my local town.

classic33

Leg End Member
It can be. A relative has done the same & including the taxi fare, it still works out cheaper than the same trip by train.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
This thread and my own about getting mine to Brighton (managed to delay it till after Christmas), has made me think about how this must be a barrier to students from poorer households going to these interviews if you have to pay the travel fares and potentially an overnight stay.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
This thread and my own about getting mine to Brighton (managed to delay it till after Christmas), has made me think about how this must be a barrier to students from poorer households going to these interviews if you have to pay the travel fares and potentially an overnight stay.

There's a lot to be said for going to your local university....

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
There's a lot to be said for going to your local university....
Yes but my kids can choose that option whereas for some it isn't a choice. Also depends what your local Uni is, as I know that a friends daughter isn't expected to get the A's they want at Bristol Uni, whereas other unis offer lower grades for the same course.

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
There is also redspottedhanky.com, reckoned by some to be marginally cheaper than the Train Line.
Generally, the same prices are available from the respective train company web sites and, unlike redspottedhanky and thetrainline, they tend not to charge a booking fee. Some of the train companies are on Quidco, so you can get cashback.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Yes but my kids can choose that option whereas for some it isn't a choice. Also depends what your local Uni is, as I know that a friends daughter isn't expected to get the A's they want at Bristol Uni, whereas other unis offer lower grades for the same course.

In the good old days when local authorities paid out student grants and sixth forms were part of the LEA and not independent bodies with delegated budgets, travel expenses used to be refunded by the LEA or the sixth form college. Grade inflation for university admissions is way ahead of the perceived grade inflation for A-levels themselves. I recall an interview by a senior surgeon at Dundee describing the gasps of shock and amazement when asked what graded he needed to start his medical degree at Dundee and his response was, "The last three letters of this magnificent city."

brand

It always cheaper to drive if you have say 5 in a car and nearly always cheaper to use the train when there is only one in the car.
Trains are subsidised.

Top Bottom