Any tips much appreciated.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Powely

So, I've clocked up approximately 130/140 miles on the bike and it's getting a little easier. I've gone from 10-12 mile average to 15-20. Not much I know but it's improvement. However, I need to get up to 80 miles a day and be able to do that kind of mileage for 4 consecutive days. Any training tips for upping my mileage?

I'm considering buying a turbo trainer for the miserable days when it's wet out, but I've borrowed one from a friend and whilst it's great I don't know how many miles/speed I'm doing on it. Is there anyway around this? Is it a simple as moving the wireless sensor of my speedo to the back wheel? Or will this not work? Is there a reason why they are normally fitted to the front wheel?

Also I'm getting a little pain in the front of my right knee after 15 miles. It isn't sore after the ride just as I'm riding. I am assuming I've got the geometry of the bike set up slightly wrong. Anyone got any possible solutions to try?

Thanks,

Al

Bayerd

Über Member
The one useful tip I can give you straight away is to invest in decent wet weather clothing so you can go out in all conditions.

For all you know, the days when the organised ride is on, it may be bucketing down. Besides, riding in the rain can feel quite exhilerating.

BSRU

A Human Being
Wireless sensors are normally fitted to the front wheel because they generally need to be very close to the computer, within 40 to 60 cm, otherwise some can suffer from interference.
No need for riding on the spot as there are no miserable days in the summer, even windy days are good if you are simply training.
This time of year the rain is warm, compared to the winter rain, and once you get wet you will not get any wetter.
Just keep cycling, try to increase the distance every ride and remember to have rest days to let you body recover.

OP
OP
Powely

Powely

Haha, that's true. I was naively thinking it would be 'perfect' weather for the four days when we are planning to do the distance. It will be May and Paris to London, so I hope we stand a fair chance of good weather. But you're right, I need to train in the rain just in case.

How often should I rest? I did 10 miles Monday and 20 yesterday and I want to go out again this morning but I am resisting so far.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Bike position set-up, 80 miles/day for 4 days needs comfort, may help with knee pain:
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm
Get decent shorts, gloves, waterproof jacket (overshoes helpful) and BSRU has it right, get out there in all weathers and enjoy the miles. You'll need the experience for 4 days in the saddle.
Keep building the miles. Alternate steady paced rides with shorter fast/harder rides, these build fitness, the longer ones build endurance.
Practice hills, there's a techniques, learn-it ... RELAX.
Eat before you're hungry, drink before you're thirsty, little and often is the rule. Long distance fueling is important, find what drinks, snacks, strategy work for you.
Find a riding buddy/join a club/CTC.
ENJOY! Cycling is about pleasure, not just the pain.

Any training tips for upping my mileage?

simple - ride further

Also I'm getting a little pain in the front of my right knee after 15 miles. It isn't sore after the ride just as I'm riding. I am assuming I've got the geometry of the bike set up slightly wrong. Anyone got any possible solutions to try?

plenty of bike fit reference material online, youtube, etc - you need to get this spot on if you plan on building up your mileage sharply - otherwise, you will end up going nowhere through injury.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Knees kneed to be looked after when on the bike. I've finished a 170km ride in agony and was virtually unable to push down the clutch pedal of the car on my way home.

Along with the Peter White Site referenced above for fitting, these are good knee-understanding articles.

OP
OP
Powely

Powely

Thanks everyone...Just reading all the articles above.

boydj

Legendary Member
Haha, that's true. I was naively thinking it would be 'perfect' weather for the four days when we are planning to do the distance. It will be May and Paris to London, so I hope we stand a fair chance of good weather. But you're right, I need to train in the rain just in case.

How often should I rest? I did 10 miles Monday and 20 yesterday and I want to go out again this morning but I am resisting so far.
Rest is important to allow your body to recover from the hard work, and to keep you mentally fresh. Listen to your body - if you're tired, go easy if you have to go out. Take a day off or have a very easy day after a heavy session. Build up your mileage slowly. Even on hard runs, start slow and build into the run.

You'll need some mental toughness to go for four days in a row, so get the gear to allow you to go out there in all weathers and learn to live with the wind and rain. These sessions are not for pushing hard, though.

OP
OP
Powely

Powely

Thanks for the advice. I NEED it! I am seriously worried about the amount of time I will have to spend in the saddle but I'm committed now and I WILL NOT be beaten! (I hope!). I do have until May 2013 to train though.

Definitely ditch the turbo and get out there whatever the weather. People who avoid cycling in the wind get beaten by it very easily. A colleague who has just started commuting in said to me the other day 'horrible today battling that wind wasn't it'. My honest reply was that I hadn't actually noticed it - I'm no super fit cyclist either, just that I've been commuting every day, every weather, and my bodies used to it so I didn't register it!

AndyRM

XOXO
Rather than a turbo, try some intensive spinning classes. I've only recently started taking them but they build your legs and lung capacity quickly.

Find somewhere that has tough instructors who will beast you for a couple hours a week. Plenty of fluid and a couple towels will be required. It will hurt like hell at first, but the benefits are worth it.

OP
OP
Powely

Powely

Right think I need to set myself a training schedule and stick to it regardless of the weather conditions. I need to sort some decent all weather gear first. I am already thinking about a spin class. I am not sure I'm physically fit enough for it though.

Top Bottom