Any TV/aerial experts ? Advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Broadside

Guru
If the aerial is 20yrs old then you probably need to replace it with a digital aerial, they look a bit different and often have a plate each side of the main bar to make a chevron or v on its side. The old analogue aerials just had a flat aluminium plate at the end. I’ve explained that really badly but hopefully you get what I mean.

If you’re lucky the old aerial will work but it would only need a small change somewhere before you lose the signal, for example if the output from the transmitted changed or something else beyond your control.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I will look into that but.......feel free to correct me .....dont you still need an aerial with a freesat box?
No.

You do need a dish, but they are not expensive to buy or fit. If you are handy with a drill they are easy enough to fit yourself.

It is only a one off cost with the benefit of a trouble free signal and more channels too.

simonali

Guru
^True dat^.

3G and 4G mobile signals also interfere with TV ones, so if you get a new aerial make sure it is filtered. That site I linked to will tell you the best type of aerial for your nearest transmitter, so don't get sold some other type if you get a man in to fit it.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
No.

You do need a dish, but they are not expensive to buy or fit. If you are handy with a drill they are easy enough to fit yourself.

It is only a one off cost with the benefit of a trouble free signal and more channels too.
Just been googling that.
2 problems.......
1. My nickname at home is Mr Bean so no, I am not "handy with a drill" :rolleyes:.
2. As stated Mrs Dave wants to switch on and choose between channels 1 or 3 (possibly 5).
Thanks

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
If the aerial is 20yrs old then you probably need to replace it with a digital aerial, they look a bit different and often have a plate each side of the main bar to make a chevron or v on its side. The old analogue aerials just had a flat aluminium plate at the end. I’ve explained that really badly but hopefully you get what I mean.

If you’re lucky the old aerial will work but it would only need a small change somewhere before you lose the signal, for example if the output from the transmitted changed or something else beyond your control.
Thanks......that could well be the problem. I will look at the aerial tomorrow.

simonali

Guru
Do it with the aerial flylead unplugged first before doing it again with it in. This will clear the TVs station 'memory'.

simonali

Guru
Another thing to check is whether your TV is tuning itself to a different transmitter than the desired one. My one is the Mendip transmitter in Wells, but before they upped its output my TVs used to pick up a Welsh one down Cardiff way because it was transmitting on lower frequencies that the TV picked up first, as they always start at the beginning! I used to have to tune everything manually back then...

Top Bottom