Any ukulele banjo playing George Formby fans out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
If you are then please pm me, if you're within reach of Merseyside then even better.
I did think twice about posting this but my loins are well girded to fend off the comments which I expect will follow :biggrin: ...... and anyway I dont care cos I like him!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I'm a George Formby fan. Don't play the ukulele though I bought a flying V version for my son. It was enthusiastically received.

I have twenty six George Formby tracks on my iPod.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I used to sort of play one years ago, but I was never very good, and tbh didn't try v hard. I know a good player though, who can do Oasis covers, George Formby, you name it hae can probably do it. Then there's the Ukelele Orchestra :biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Fnaar said:
I used to sort of play one years ago, but I was never very good, and tbh didn't try v hard. I know a good player though, who can do Oasis covers, George Formby, you name it hae can probably do it. Then there's the Ukelele Orchestra :biggrin:

I saw the ukelele band of the uk at Shoreham a couple of years ago. They were very, very good and funny too.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Thanks for the replies chaps. I wasnt really expecting as many as 8 Formby fans and I think Arch is the only other uke player. Its amazing that he still has a big following; the Imperial Hotel in Blackpool is taken over 4 times a year with the GF Society gatherings over 2 days and he was the highest earning entertainer in the UK for much of his career. Looks like I'll be riding to Blackpool on my own then...
I was considering trying to start up a forum for aspiring players of his songs to exchange advice but have no idea where to start. Got any spare time Shaun?
Been trying to cultivate a Wigan accent for the songs but I suspect speech coaches willing to take me on would be thin on the ground ;)

postman

Legendary Member
e it's turned out nice again .

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
There's 4 pages/appreciation groups I can find on Facebook.

Has any anti-virus firm ever used "When I'm cleaning Windows" as a tagline? Should do!

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
vernon said:
Has no-one else started a Georgy Formby or Ukulele forum on the Internet?

Only one specific to George Formby style of banjolele playing called The Resonator but the bloke who runs (and moderates it) reprimands the posters if they use poor grammar, incorrect spelling or slang: hence 100 members who seldom post and the longest thread on the site having 10 contributions. Shame really cos my local music shop reckons he sells more uke banko's than any other instrument. A school was recently censored by ofsted inspectors for having a ukulele band as part of their music lessons on the grounds that it wasn't "proper" music. The kids were devastated... back to the recorder thenxx(

Top Bottom