Any ukulele experts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've been struck by a wanton desire to learn the ukulele. I'm not sure why, I just have. I've heard them a bit recently, on the radio - a programme about the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain probably started it. I played the violin at school and half heartedly learned a few guitar chords a few years back, so I reckon I can do it - I'm not a very dedicated practiser though... I quite like the idea of being able to play to my little nephew, and being his mad ukulele playing auntie, and one day, if he fancies it, teaching him, or at least letting him have a bash on it.

There's a shop round the corner that sells them for £12, and having earned a few extra quid this month I feel like splashing out (although not too much - in case I get bored quickly). My local music shop has a selection of teaching books, so I can get started.

So, given that I'm going to buy a very cheap one to start with, so I'm not looking for advice on makes or anything, any tips on playing?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Try theuke.com? (I don't know if the site is any good.)

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cheers Colin, looks like it might be useful...

Rich: <adopt thickly sarcastic tone> really? You think so? It had never occured to me...:blush:

"Oh, I'm leaning on the lampost...."

Just listening to the Uke Orchestra doing "Shaft" - excellent!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I have a couple of the Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain's CDs. They are good, aren't they?

I particularly like that they tour the country playing places like Terrington Village Hall (where I've been to see them). They seem to have made it slicker now, but at one time if you wanted to buy a CD, you just rang one of them up and he told you where to send the cheque. There's something very British about that.

Their website has some useful uke-related info (they're not coming to Terrington again for the foreseeable, sadly).

As for buying, I would tend to avoid Bulmer's, and go to see Lloyd in Rock-ola Music (now in Colliergate, I think). If they have ukes, they will be reasonably well set-up and playable, or Lloyd will try to make them so (he's widely regarded as the best guitar tech in the area, and used to live in my village).

I may even buy one myself; often thought of it.

bobg

Über Member
Arch said:
I've been struck by a wanton desire to learn the ukulele. I'm not sure why, I just have. I've heard them a bit recently, on the radio - a programme about the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain probably started it. I played the violin at school and half heartedly learned a few guitar chords a few years back, so I reckon I can do it - I'm not a very dedicated practiser though... I quite like the idea of being able to play to my little nephew, and being his mad ukulele playing auntie, and one day, if he fancies it, teaching him, or at least letting him have a bash on it.

There's a shop round the corner that sells them for £12, and having earned a few extra quid this month I feel like splashing out (although not too much - in case I get bored quickly). My local music shop has a selection of teaching books, so I can get started.

So, given that I'm going to buy a very cheap one to start with, so I'm not looking for advice on makes or anything, any tips on playing?
#

Hi Arch, I play uke/ banjo/ mandolin etc so I'd be more tha happy to pm you with some some playing tips. You'll only need 3 or 4 chords to knock out hundreds of simple songs and if you can still remember the violin tuning ( in 5ths ) that's a big help. Theres loads of stuff on u tube that'll inspire you too. Trouble is with those very cheap ones, the strings are very high off the frets and it makes the chords more difficult to press down, especially if you are new to it.

nickb

Guru
My son bought a black flying V uke from http://www.dangleberrymusic.co.uk/ on their eBay shop.

It's a Mahalo, made in Hawaii. Cost about £30 and it's great fun.

girofan

rich p said:
You could do George Formby covers!

Ignore rich p if you value your reputation Arch!!
You don't want to end up wearing a flat cap with a pigeon on your shoulder and two whippets at your side; singing crap songs with a silly Lancashire accent and a gormless look on your face.
The wages of the ukulele is eternal damnation to the black and white world of thirties British cinema, in which all provincial's, especially those North of Birmingham were continually patronised by those middle classes from Esher with clipped vowels saying, "whet an unusual fellow thet Formby cherecter is." :smile:

Willow

there was an article in the guardian earlier this year on how ukele playing is taking off in schools, do a search on their site and see if you can find it.

Top Bottom