Any washing machine engineers - can you assist please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
BrumJim said:
There is a whole forum dedicated to these sorts of questions:

They/he did help me out a bit on an oven question.

Thank you for that link. I now know where to find a Chrome Bent End with Air Valve and hose for my Vax Wet and Dry cleaner. :biggrin:

Should I need one, I will also know where to find a Washing Machine Commutator Cleaner, not that I know what it is.

Joking apart, it would have been a good place to ask my question about the handle option. Spares2go.co.uk have a option to check the progress of my order. It is currently being processed, and says to check back later.

Edit - I have also read their excellent advice about getting the door seal clean, and that it gets so black from using powder/liquid without bleach.
I notice it also says about Maintenance Washes etc.

colly

Re member eR
Speicher said:
The door on my washing machine has broken. :smile: It is only 28 years old, they do not build things to last do they? ;)

I have looked up the spare part I thought I needed.

On spares2go.co.uk they list the model number of my machine and a spare part called a Door Latch. But no diagram of the part.

On espares.co.uk they list a Door Handle Kit, and a diagram. But not for that particular machine.

The part I need is the very small bit of plastic that interlocks the door to the inside of the door frame on the carcase of the machine.

Is the Door Latch likely to be the same as the Door Handle Kit?

How difficult is it to re-fit? I have a washing machine engineer I could call on, but if I can do it myself I will.

Or I could order the part, and he will no doubt fit it. (He is of the old-school variety). Any help will be appreciated, thank you. TIA

I am almost certain, that I do not need a complete door lock mechanism, ie the part with the electronics that go inside the machine.

Be careful if you do decide to repair the door interlock yourself. I repaired one some time ago and after switching off the machine and un-plugging it I set about the job.
How surprised was I when 5 mins later I got a massive belt from it.??
What I didn't know was that the interlock (on my machine ) was controlled by a capacitor and the damn thing discharged right through my arm. :smile::sad::smile::sad::sad:

Very painful and maybe even lethal.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
colly said:
Be careful if you do decide to repair the door interlock yourself. I repaired one some time ago and after switching off the machine and un-plugging it I set about the job.
How surprised was I when 5 mins later I got a massive belt from it.??
What I didn't know was that the interlock (on my machine ) was controlled by a capacitor and the damn thing discharged right through my arm. ;):sad::smile::sad::smile:

Very painful and maybe even lethal.

Thank you for pointing that out. If I switched it off and unplugged it at the mains, I would assume it is safe to work on.

What is a capacitor? How can you do a controlled discharge? I do not think the part will arrive for ten days or so now.

Mr Pig

Speicher said:
What is a capacitor?

It's a kind of filter that acts like a battery in some ways so stores electricity, usually not for long after the power is switched off, but long enough to give you a bolt if you go in too soon after switching off the power.

I didn't even think of that when working on our machine.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
The saga continues. The spare parts people have said that delays will occur because a key member of staff slipped on the ice and has fractured her hip.

I spoke to my neighbour yesterday. Apparently their old washing machine is in pieces on the back patio. No they are not vandals, the kitchens in these houses are upstarirs, and he did not want to carry a complete washing machine down the outside stairs. So he has dismantled it.

It is the same brand as mine, Zanussi, so they have given me their door frame and the lock mechanism from the carcase, and the motor (in case it is the same one, as a spare).

So I now have a spare door to practice on, to try and get the frame apart, without Practicing on "my door". I had not realised that water is sitting at the bottom of the drum, and thought oh - put it on drain. Doh, guess who has taken out the important bit, to see if it was the same as the door from next door. :tongue: So the machine will not switch on.

I am managing washing everything by hand. The problem is getting it dry, if I hang things outside, they will freeze before they dry. :biggrin:

So I now have one machine, two doors, two motors, and some very damp washing, and a smelly utility room. :rolleyes:

BrumJim I will be looking at the website you suggested for how to dismantle the door.

Top Bottom