Any washing machine engineers - can you assist please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
The door on my washing machine has broken. :ohmy: It is only 28 years old, they do not build things to last do they? :eek:

I have looked up the spare part I thought I needed.

On spares2go.co.uk they list the model number of my machine and a spare part called a Door Latch. But no diagram of the part.

On espares.co.uk they list a Door Handle Kit, and a diagram. But not for that particular machine.

The part I need is the very small bit of plastic that interlocks the door to the inside of the door frame on the carcase of the machine.

Is the Door Latch likely to be the same as the Door Handle Kit?

How difficult is it to re-fit? I have a washing machine engineer I could call on, but if I can do it myself I will.

Or I could order the part, and he will no doubt fit it. (He is of the old-school variety). Any help will be appreciated, thank you. TIA

I am almost certain, that I do not need a complete door lock mechanism, ie the part with the electronics that go inside the machine.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Hi, I share your determination not to give in to pressure to replace when it can be repaired. I got 17 years out of my Hoover washer before some wires fretted through and it was looking dangerous. In that time I repaired it about 6 times with new motors, interlock, pump etc.

You won't be able to buy the little piece of plastic, you probably need a new door interlock, which is a plastic box of bits bolted into the carcass where the latch on the door enters through its hole. It is very easy to replace and if you can't get exactly the right part I'd be willing to bet that almost any interlock from the same manufacture (of interlocks, not the washing machine) will do the job. Why not start by taking out the old one? Isolate the washer, remove the top cover, find the interlock and undo the two screws that hold it to the carcass then disconnect the two electrical contacts. At least with the part in your hand you'll stand a good chance of finding a replacement.

You need a decent washing machine repair shop, it sounds as if your might be able to help. Otherwise try mine, his name is Simon at Belec in Bury, 0161 761 4383.

Good luck! You might find the Haynes Washing machine repair manual at your local library.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised to find that specific machine listed on spares2go.

It seems almost criminal to not try and repair it. The part will be approx £12 inc p/p. Even if I need my engineer to fit it, that would total say £40.

I had heard mention of a (possible) scrappage scheme for white goods, and a newer machine would probably use less water and less electricity.
For now I will try a repair.

Edit - I have looked again and found the washcraft handle, £8.00 inc p/p, with diagram, which shows as you suggest the plastic bit I think I need. The door interlock (inside the machine) is also available, (£14) so even if I need both parts, it is still sensble.

Interesting to note that the timer was replaced on this machine about twenty years ago, at a cost including labour, of approx one third of a new machine. To replace the timer now, the spare part alone would be nearly the cost of a new machine, therefore including labour the total would be more than the cost of a new one. To put it mildly this is very puzzling.

Mr Pig

It should be easy to fit, just swap the bits over. Most of the parts for a washing machine are easy to fit so you're quite right to fix it rather than but a new machine. It's also a good reason to buy a Hoover or other popular brand as support is better.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
This is a Zanussi.

If I need to replace it, I think I would chose a Bosch in there Logixx range.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Some of the houses in this street have solar panels. I thought they were very expensive because of the cost of installation and the new piping that would be required.

New part now ordered, just hope it does not take 12 to 14 days to arrive, as they say on their website. If it is in stock, I hope it does not take that long to take a very small packet of the shelf and put it in a recyclable jiffy bag.:laugh:

Now how do I wash my socks and trousers by hand? The sheets I am sure a neighbour would very kindly do for me on Monday.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You could get talked into a system with vacuum tubes for which you could pay over £3500. But you can buy a flat collector and controller for £1500 and the interior pipework and a second cylinder wouldn't cost more than an extra £500. Have a look at Viridian Solar.

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Today must be national washing-machine breakdown day-mine threw a fit thismorning:angry:
Iv an engineer coming out to fix it on monday which I could do without but I cannot do without my machine:evil:
Its a Dyson, and iv nothing but good to say about them-I just hope im back up+running on Monday:becool:

Mr Pig

Speicher said:
If I need to replace it, I think I would chose a Bosch

From my experience and from what I've gleaned from repair forums my vote would go to Hoover. Yet to see one last less than ten years.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Mr Pig said:
From my experience and from what I've gleaned from repair forums my vote would go to Hoover. Yet to see one last less than ten years.

Ha! Mine lasted six years and according to the repair forums this was typical for my model.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Mr Pig said:
Do you wash bricks in it? ;0)

No. It was a known design fault that leads to the self destruction of the bearings. As the cost of replacing the bearings was around 75% of the cost of a new machine, buying a new machine was a no brainer.

Mr Pig

vernon said:
As the cost of replacing the bearings was around 75% of the cost of a new machine, buying a new machine was a no brainer.

Yeah, I replace bearings at work all the time but if they went on a washing machine I don't think I could be bothered fixing it, even if they were cheap to buy.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
There is a whole forum dedicated to these sorts of questions:

They/he did help me out a bit on an oven question.

Top Bottom