Anybody else enjoying the dark rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think you're right, broadly speaking. I would always look for simple ignorance first, before ascribing malice to anyone.
However ... On a dark road on my way in tonight, I saw some headlights on a parked vehicle ahead of me. Full beam, not moving. As I got closer, I could see they were on my side of the road. It was a farmer's 4x4, unloading some livestock into a field. I pulled out to pass him, and realised I simply could not see an inch past him because of the glare of his lights. I had to virtually stop and walk round it, with my eyes shielded by my hand. Parking on the wrong side of the road with your main beams on is lack of awareness taken to an Olympian standard.
Gold medal ...? :okay:

Not particularly enjoying it since the clocks went back. One problem is the blinding lights from some cars which at their worst, momentarily destroy my vision, which is not good when commuting on unclassified roads which tend to be at the bottom of the list as far as maintenance is concerned. I'm not sure whether it is because some drivers feel the need to have full beam on so they can blast round the country lanes like they are on a rally circuit, or whether some car headlights are just badly aligned, so that if the approaching car is going uphill slightly, I get the headlight beam directly in my face (my commute is a little undulating). The other issue that seems to have got worse recently is that what I would normally think of as quiet back roads are not, trying to go along a back road to get away from traffic just results in more convoys to deal with, even on the teeny tiny single track lanes, it is like the motorists have taken over all the A roads so they are now on a mission to take over the lower class roads as well. I've got nearly five months of this before the clocks go forward, I'll get used to it like I have done every other year.
I have the same problem with back roads...a while ago I came off the bike as a driver actually put his full beam on as he got closer to me. I think he thought that it would make the road easier to see for both of us but I was completely blinded and ended up down a ditch on the side of the road!

buggi

Bird Saviour
Tollbar Island makes for 'interesting' cycling. I've worked out my preferred routes across and around it (and am quite enjoying the roadworks with all their extra traffic lights) but it would scare the wits out of many a cyclist
Yes there has been at least one death there hasn't there? I don't personally go that way on my bike, i personally would not be daunted by i can see why people would be. Definitely need to own your space on that one!

wisdom

Guru
Love the dark nights and the smell of coal fires and woodburning stoves.However its only good with good lights and clothing(not necessarily expensive).:cold:

Top Bottom