Anybody else here not yet in the Xmas spirit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I mean I have tried...hard...really I have...since 1982 but i still fail to get into the mood. I have tried booze, pills, stockings, and the sack, not to mention giving rasther thsn takng..but I still feel somewhat ....erm...devoid of direction:wacko:

Abitrary

Bigtallfatbloke said:
I mean I have tried...hard...really I have...since 1982 but i still fail to get into the mood. I have tried booze, pills, stockings, and the sack, not to mention giving rasther thsn takng..but I still feel somewhat ....erm...devoid of direction:wacko:

Tell us about the booze, drugs and combinations thereof.

Let's make this a constructive learning experience

Noodley

I have just spent a number of hours wrapping pressies, preceded by finishing off buying food for Christmas Day. My kids are hyper, and have been singing Christmas carols and "pop" songs for weeks. Younger Noodley Jnr missed the school Christmas service on Friday due to being ill and she was devastated so I have had to sit and tell the "christmas story" to her a number of times this morning (sucker! :biggrin:).

And you ask if I'm in the Chrsitmas Spirit?! :biggrin::biggrin:

Oh, and I found out when The Great Escape is on as well :angry:

If only I didnae have to go into work on Monday :sad: Mind you, it's "Jack and the Beanstalk" with guest appearance by a bloke dressed in red in the evening :ohmy:

simoncc

I never am in the Christmas spirit, but it is easy to conceal the fact because I am always in the 'I'm off work spirit' at Christmas and that causes me to exhibit behaviour that others can easily mistake for the Christmas spirit.

mondobongo

Über Member
No not exited at all. Me and the Missus have cut back substantially this year as have other members of the family and plan on not celebrating it next year. First year that we have not put up any decorations at all.
Feel it has now become a commercial exercise to the fullest extent, with a huge amount of pressure to buy buy buy.

We are going to make a big fuss at Birthdays from next year and give Chrimbo a miss.

I know what you meen BTFB ive been missing some thing at christmas for 5/6 years now. Ive got kids and all but i just cant get all hiper for one day. To me its like we are all spending loads of cash for one day that's not getting us where we need to be or what we need.

am I just being a bar humbug?

girofan

spandex said:
I know what you meen BTFB ive been missing some thing at christmas for 5/6 years now. Ive got kids and all but i just cant get all hiper for one day. To me its like we are all spending loads of cash for one day that's not getting us where we need to be or what we need.

am I just being a bar humbug?

No you're not being bah humbug. If you're not religious in any way, Christmas is just a spiritually empty event.
If you don't believe in the birth of Jesus Christ, what's to celebrate? "I think therefore I'm bored" is what we are suffering from.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I am really struggling to get into the Christmas spirit, someone used far too much wrapping paper and sellotape, and I cannot get it unwrapped;).

Seriously though, yes I find it difficult to get into the Christmas "spirit",
In my defence, I could say that as a child I spent many years in India and Saudi Arabia, where Christmas (in the '60s) would not have been celebrated. Then when in this county, my father was either away working (for up to fifteen, yes 15 months at a time) or home but going away two days after Christmas, or arguing with my mother.

Now I find that relatives ABSOLUTELY INSIST I celebrate Christmas according to their traditions.

Never mind all the unwanted presents etc, what I would like from people is the following:

From my two, older, brothers: the realisation that for the last ten years or so, I have helped my parents emotionally and practically as far as humanly possible. Now that my mother is a widow and is 85 years old, could they please help NOW. Phone her more often, visit her more often, and believe me when I say that she is not OK. They see her so infrequently that she is able to put on an act of "OK".

For those that are on this thread, try and enjoy this Christmas as you would like to. We are all different after all. Happy Christmas.

snorri

Legendary Member
Speicher, I sincerely hope your sharing of problems with a load of anonymous strangers has gone some way to easing these problems. It would be easy to advise from afar, but only you can sort things out.
At times I wish I was one of a large family, at other times I'm glad I'm not.:becool:

wafflycat

Christmas spirit isn't about spending money, it's a state of mind. I haven't got a tree or decorations up yet, but I still *love* Christmas. Why? Well, I've got a wonderful husband and a great son whom I love very much and who show they love me too. Christmas will be a quiet day with just the three of us, but I'll make sure both of them *know* they are loved simply for *being*. Saying that, if anyone knocked at the front door, they'd be made most welcome.

I know it sounds a cliche, but on Christmas Day, I'll have loving family about me and having grown up in a family where emotions were *difficult* to say the least, I'm exceedingly grateful I have such a lovely husband & son.

simoncc said:
I never am in the Christmas spirit, but it is easy to conceal the fact because I am always in the 'I'm off work spirit' at Christmas and that causes me to exhibit behaviour that others can easily mistake for the Christmas spirit.

That's a good way to look at it. Even if you don't "do" christmas (and I do, I love it) it's time off work which is always a Good Thing.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
hard to get in the christmas spirit when it means nothing but expense and hassle. once kids have prezzies opened and the dinner's gone, christmas day is an anticlimax. and mrs alecetc is working christmas night so it'll be just me, the kids and crap tv.

be glad when it's all over :becool:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
snorri said:
Speicher, I sincerely hope your sharing of problems with a load of anonymous strangers has gone some way to easing these problems. It would be easy to advise from afar, but only you can sort things out.
At times I wish I was one of a large family, at other times I'm glad I'm not.:biggrin:

Snorri, yes it has helped in a strange sort of way. Getting my thoughts together and writing them down in a logical way, has emphasised the main problems. With regard to the Christmasses of my younger day, that is a long time ago now, and I am sure many (millions) of people had have worse or similar experiences.

I must have speak to my brothers and (strongly) suggest (yet again) that could they help my mother by visiting her more often, instead of perhaps once or twice a year that they manage now.

My point is, and yes, there is one, that writing it down, has helped. I knew all this before, but it is a question of conveying my opinions to others in a way that they can understand and without arguments ensuing.

I know that other people have been helped by airing their problems on this forum, and some have said the same thing after writing it down.

I now have a few parcels to wrap and the (small) tree to decorate.
If you send me the co-ordinates of your navigation buoy, I will send you a virtual hug, and wish you a Happy Christmas. :becool:;)

And a Happy Christmas to everyone on this thread. I hope you are able to spend Christmas in the way that you would like to.:tongue::smile:

SamNichols

My Christmas spirit is amiable expectation followed by quickly getting tired of my moronic family, plus getting stuck with whichever strays my mum picks up throughout the year. It would all be more tolerable if my mum wasn't so blase about the fact that her attitude to it all spoils it for the rest of us and doesn't acknowledge the fact that we may not want to spend Christmas with everyone she seems to surround herself with. If I were to bring in a stray then all hell with break loose, or God forbid a girlfriend, but spending Christmas with people that we don't speak to for the rest of the year is appropriate, despite the fact that none of us live at home, and it's a heck of a trek to get there.
Plus, my cousin was buried this Thursday, and mum doesn't seem to think that we could just spend time with each other and take stock.
Plus, despite being in my own house I have had to sleep in the living room for five days and have got even less sleep than usual.
Plus, I want to see the other half of my family, with my cousins of my own age who I can hang around with.
Christmas may be a time for family, but the whole idea of family comes with a whole heap of baggage, tons of arguing, and a liberal dash of petty annoyances. God, it may be fun, but it is so HARD. I hope that boxing day will be better than Christmas day will (I am seriously considering camping upstairs and doing essay work for the whole day).
BAH HUMBUG.

Top Bottom