Anybody else sick of wasps this year??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
[QUOTE 2628727, member: 45"]Have you tried the fake nest trick? Apparently they're territorial so if you hang a fake nest in a tree they keep away.[/quote]

Thanks - might be worth a try next year. I haven't heard of this before, and the reviews are mixed at best, but worth a go.

They are on our six garden fruit trees in huge numbers, the worst for years, with apples being chewed to hollow husks in a day. The fruit, which is really good quality this year, is being wrecked before it is fully ripe so we can't even pick what is left untouched. We did have quite a few greengages, which gave them a hearty meal but not us.
Wasps don't attack fruit unless it is already damaged - in my garden, that starts with birds and snails. Wasps are definitely a Good Thing - they control many pests such as caterpillars and aphids, which bees don't do, and they are important pollinators of fruit and flowers; in fact if bees keep declining we shall need wasps to stop us starving.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I swallowed one at a bbq last week in the bottom of a beer can, it came back up 5 minutes later, but didnt sting me.
Blimey. You do realise what a close escape you had, right? Classic way to die. Wasp gets in, stings you in throat, airway closes, game over.

Looking at this thread makes me wonder how many accidents are caused each year by wasp/helmet encounters. Just saying....:whistle:

Ciar

Veteran
Wasps are a pain but i think this year they are back in abundance, where as for flies tons of those around, luckily i let the spiders have their wicked way :smile:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I got stung by something while walking the dog this morning... may have been a bit actually, possibly a horse fly? Still flipping hurts a few hours later :cursing:
And I've just dropped a soggy digestive, freshly sipped in coffee, all over my keyboard :smile:

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Wasps don't attack fruit unless it is already damaged

Plain wrong, at least in my garden! The fruit's in really good nick and there are enough wasps to watch them at work. Their approach is for one to chew in a small hole on an intact apple, to start the initial damage, then the others all pile in once they pick up the scent.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
waspyfecker? He's hiding somewhere. What a pussy! All talk and no trousers.

The stripey w*nker knows his place by now.

I like my apples slightly sour, so maybe I pick them before they are attractive to wasps. But overall they are still a Good Thing.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Not bothered at all about wasps, but I am sick of (some) people's OTT reactions to wasps, where they make exaggerated swipes and lunges to hit the wasp or get out of it's way....

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Gone wasp crazy today, feckers are everywhere!

flamethrower.jpg

Come to daddy you bastards!

Blimey. You do realise what a close escape you had, right? Classic way to die. Wasp gets in, stings you in throat, airway closes, game over.
No, no - I distinctly remember that my copy of Scouting for Boys said that if I came across a doubled-up, blue-faced cyclist, I should make a hole in his throat with my trusty pen-knife and all would be well.

Arch

Married to Night Train
No, no - I distinctly remember that my copy of Scouting for Boys said that if I came across a doubled-up, blue-faced cyclist, I should make a hole in his throat with my trusty pen-knife and all would be well.

Or a rusty penknife, if it's all you've got.

Davidc

Guru
A nuisance for a few weeks, read about the life cycle to see why.

The economic value of wasps is immense (as of course is that of their cousins the bees) and agriculture (plus gardens) would be in trouble without their pest control services.

I've been stung once this year, but I did ride into it at about 10 mph, so it did have some justification.

Top Bottom