Anybody else televisionless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I have got 2 televisions but I hardly ever watch any broadcast television as it is utter sh1t. I really enjoy the odd BBC documentary like The Human Planet etc, but thats about it. The rest is just watching DVD films or drama's like The Shield, The Sopranos etc. I would personally do away with the thing and disconnect it from the satellite dish etc, but my wife insists on watching Coronation Street, Eastenders and Come Dine With Me etc
Suicide.gif

I would just buy DVD's for the BBC documentaries and for the stuff my toddler watches. It bothers me a little letting my daughter watching tv as I really do not want her to get brainwashed by it when she is older. Then again computers are similar with Facebook etc.

I take it that you never use BBC Iplayer either? Just wondered if they checked up on that type of thing or not.

tyred

Legendary Member
I've got one, complete with licence, but it only ever gets used for watching the F1; I switched it on this morning at 6 o'clock for the first time since the Abu Dhabi GP last year. Before developing an interest in F1 I had no telly, and was quite happy not to have one.

That's generally the case for me as well. Years ago, I used to watch quote a bit of telly and I consider giving up TV as one of the best things I ever did. When it was ridiculously cold over Christmas, I tried watching some TV but decided the programmes they show are mostly an insult to people's intelligence.

Bodhbh

Guru
I have one but find it's increasingly redundant. It gets turned on as wallpaper but spend most of the time doing other stuff. And since I got a decent monitor for the PC end up watching things on that instead. Should really get rid of it.

Toeclip

Guru
I went 20 years without a TV, then I bought one 5 years ago and gave up watching the rubbish on it last year, you just can`t beat the good old radio!

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I am looking forward to the digital switchover next year when my telly won't work.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
A chap I know was quite militant about not having a telly, he got married a while back and was saying 'yeah, we won't be having a tv, it's not happening, etc. etc.'

He's got a telly now.

my militancy stretches to a ban on soaps and reality talent type crud, getting rid of TV altogether would see my loving family lynching me.

Arch

Married to Night Train
It bothers me a little letting my daughter watching tv as I really do not want her to get brainwashed by it when she is older.

Bring her up properly, and she won't be. My sister and I watched telly as kids, the usual weekday afternoon stuff and Saturday mornings, and we're both well adjusted individuals. Bunging a kid in front of the telly unattended, and never interacting with them, is bad. Letting them watch selectively, watching with them, using it as a springboard to conversation and ideas, it just becomes another learning tool.

My nephew, (3 and a half) watches telly, usually with Mum. Sometimes it's just story stuff like Thomas the Tank Engine, sometimes it's the art/creative stuff. He's got a very good vocabulary, and it a really nice bright kid, because his Mum and Dad are great parents.

When he was only two he watched an art programme on CBeebies, in which they made a big collage of a tree with bits of clothing. He went away and made a picture of a tree with his Brio train track for the trunk and branches, and all the trains and wagons for leaves. I've no doubt his little brother will be the same. There are some very good kids programmes on the Beeb.

I have a telly, albeit black ad white, but I'll upgrade to colour when we go digital. I do watch some mediocre stuff, but there is plenty of informative, educational stuff on - I am looking forward to having BBC 4, for example.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
come on, its not April 1st just yet you know :whistle:

next you'll be saying you dont have a chip pan :ohmy: no telly... and no chip pan ??? (but then you non telly people won't know what that's from).

load of balls all this anti TV nonsense. TV can make you laugh, cry, educate you and shock you. yes there is a load of rubbish on TV, but there's also some great stuff and some classics as well.

Top Bottom