Anybody else televisionless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dragon72

Guru
I haven't got a TV.
I'm a secondary school teacher and when the kids I teach found out I don't have a TV they asked me, "So what do you do, then?".
Very few of them, even in a rural town comprehensive, have a concept of active, as opposed to passive, leisure.

I'm in an odd situation at the moment where I spend a few nights every week as a lodger, and at home the other nights.
I don't own a TV at home, and wouldn't buy one.

However, I do have a TV where I lodge.

Conclusions: if it's there, and you're single, you will turn it on and likely watch whatever crud there is on. It will steal hours of your life. Yes, there are some good programs, good enough to buy a TV - no, not in my case.

At home the radio is on pretty much constantly though, Radio 4 / WS is wonderful.

yello

We have a tele. We don't always watch though. Some nights we just look and each other and say nothing.

dodgy

People without TVs are a bit like people who don't drink, or vegetarians. They like to tell everyone about it.

bikie

Über Member
When we only had 4 channels I used to be able to find something worth watching, now we have 100's of channels and nothing worth watching.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
The only things my 10yr-old daughter will watch on TV are Dr Who and Harry Hill. Other than that, she never watches it.

Sounds great, doesn't it? Well, no... she'd spend the rest of her waking hours on her laptop and her DS Lite given half a chance :angry:

Conclusions: if it's there, and you're single, you will turn it on and likely watch whatever crud there is on. It will steal hours of your life. Yes, there are some good programs, good enough to buy a TV - no, not in my case.

That's not necessarily true. I'm not one of these who thinks that not watching the telly much somehow makes me better than those who do, but one of the things I really can't understand is people who just switch the telly on as a matter of course and then channel hop through hours of dreary bilge until it's time to go to bed. I just switch it on when there's something on that I want to watch.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
That's not necessarily true. I'm not one of these who thinks that not watching the telly much somehow makes me better than those who do, but one of the things I really can't understand is people who just switch the telly on as a matter of course and then channel hop through hours of dreary bilge until it's time to go to bed. I just switch it on when there's something on that I want to watch.

I would think in a great number of occasions it is merely powerful habits. Habits can be broken of course. I think some people like channel hopping as that in itself is an activity offering some interaction (albeit almost non-existent).

Top Bottom