anybody flooded ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My parents in law rang last night worried that we might be flooded after seeing all the news of flooding down south! I haven't seen any flooding near the house just on the roads/fields in the wider area. It must be dreadful to have all your possessions destroyed by water. And it takes so long to recover afterwards.

pauldavid

Veteran
The house is ok but got caught in really heavy traffic on the way home and maybe should have used the convenience before I left my last appointment.

Another fifteen minutes and I could have been bailing the volvo out, at least it would have been warm liquid, easier on the hands you know!

Linford

I have to say that having lived through the 2007 flood in Glos and seeing the volume of water in the system now as a comparatively a lesser event, when I see people blaming flooding on others tarmacing their gardens for extra parking, do find this notion to be really quite ridiculous :rofl:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
when I see people blaming flooding on others tarmacing their gardens for extra parking, do find this notion to be really quite ridiculous :rofl:
I do think there is an element of this - but more to do with some of the building on the flood plains, and not putting in good drainage when they do build new developments.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Had the flood warning at 6am, about 300m from my flat is very flooded (The Nene), touchwood the sharp rise to mine will be enough :ohmy:

al78

Guru
I was cycling from Horsham to Cuckfield on Saturday evening and the road about a mile west of Warninglid was flooded (got wet feet, thankfully had the Sealskin waterproof socks on). Lots of other large puddles on the sides of the road on the A281, thankfully nothing really serious.

Crankarm

Guru
The White Lady of the Lowther. An itinerant flower seller who drowned in 1872 when the then innkeeper refused her refuge on a stormy night. She returns whenever the pub floods, to gloat.

(I just made that up. Maybe I should start my own Ghost Tour;) )

I am sure you could find a big old abandoned house to haunt ................... ;).

HovR

Über Member
Just found out that a friend has 2 or 3 inches of water in the lower floor of their house. :sad:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Shepherds Bush resembles the Sahara Desert. I just thought that you might be worried, that's all. Please don't.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Took the car to work last night as my 2 usual routes were closed due to flooding , the alternative routes also had some road closures and a 10 mile journey turned into a marathon slog cross country in traffic jams.
Took 2 hours to get to work rather than 20 mins or 35 mins by bike

Linford

I do think there is an element of this - but more to do with some of the building on the flood plains, and not putting in good drainage when they do build new developments.

The biggest problem we find is that they environment agency are not keeping the culverts clear. It is no good building them if they stick a pipe in at the far end, and then allow debris to block them, and subsequently allowing it to back up.
I work about 4 miles from Tewkesbury, and the biggest problem is that they have built on a flood plain full stop. The flood plain was there long before the development, and will be there long afterwards. The levels there will be decided by the tide, and the rain in the welsh mountains, and not whether they stick a few more properties in. The area of flooding is vast. The ones which go under are the ones which are built on ground which is lower than the tide marks left by previous floods.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Just saw this on the York Press website. (Edited a bit, and my bold)

A RYEDALE MP says she is disappointed that Pickering may again be at risk of flooding following recent heavy rain.
She said: “Clearly the deluge we have experienced over recent days is of biblical proportions but I do believe we could have done more between flood events as I have outlined.”

Really love? Biblical proportions? Really?
I'll look out for the Ark then...;)
Meanwhile, the Ouse isn't quite as high as last time, but apparently still rising, and predicted to level off tomorrow morning. Currently about 80cm below highest ever, which I think makes it about 70cm lower than last time.
Once again, we'll be unable to reach a few properties tomorrow, but if they put the recycling out it'd only float away. (This did actually happen at some flats last time, the recycling boxes live in a sort of caged binstore, and they floated out. We managed to recover 2 of the boxes once the water receded and dumped them further down the street.)

Top Bottom