anybody got a gun?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
because if i was a horse you'd shoot me !! Seriously just had spinal operation (10 days ago) so still recovering but can't wait to get back out on bike after putting on over 20lbs in the past 5 months of idleness.
Just wanted to ask if anybody has had this op to widen the spinal canal, and how long did it take to get back to normal? I still have some pain in right leg which i'm hoping will clear up in time, meanwhile im getting so fed up just sitting around stuffing face full of crap and playing stupid games on FB

Oldbloke

Guru
Sorry can't help but GWS!

classic33

Leg End Member
No gun, but here's to getting back on the bike though.
In the meantime...
Tricycle Ambulance.jpg

Darren Gregory

Rides a Pinnacle Arkose 3 and a Trek Emonda SL6
I had something similiar, a partial discectomy. L4/L5 I think from memory. Had the operation in early 2007 was back in work by the summer.

From memory the hospital were very keen to get me moving as quickly as possibly after the operation and once I was home I was out walking most days, slowly increasing the mileage. I'm afraid back then I didn't cycle, took it up as an adult a couple of years ago and despite worrying that riding a drop bar bike might be painful I have been fine.

Get well soon.

vickster

Legendary Member
I had a discectomy back in 1993, 6" scar, was in hospital for a week after the op, wasn't allowed to do anything for 3 months, corset to wear, bored stupid lying down watching TV. Be glad things have come on massively since then :smile: that said I bounced back pretty quickly being only 20, and I've had few issues since (my calf is still numb)

Talk to Physio and surgeon about staged return to activity. I'd still assume a couple of months until you can go near a bike. Do your Physio v diligently

Hmmm. I slipped a disc (L 4/5) in October and was in AGONY for two weeks. After several sessions with my chiropractor I felt considerably better, but not 100% as I was suffering with 'drop foot' and surgery was mentioned as a last resort if my condition deteriorated whilst I was in India.

I had 10 sessions of Ayurvedic massage there (combined with plenty of swimming and gentle cycling) and feel pretty much fit/healed. I have just returned from my chiropractor and he was surprised to see how well I had recovered.

I still only have half the movement (clenching my toes upwards) but that is getting better by the week.

My point is, are you able to have a massage or chiropractor to put you into shape, or is it strictly 'hands-off'?

As User mentioned, hydrotherapy can be a very beneficial activity. http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/water-therapy-exercise-program

A bit of weed may also help. http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/news/20100830/marijuana-relieves-chronic-pain-research-show#1

Failing that, I have a double-barrelled shotgun on top of my bookshelves.

Get well soon.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have a gun, Browning 525, but sorry I am not allowed to shoot you.

action2.JPG

I also have had spinal surgery. Discectomy and spinal decompression. I asked for permission to cycle after a few weeks and was told to listen to my body and take it easy. I used a Turbo Trainer up until 6 weeks, then went for it on the road.

Top Bottom