Anybody read this helmet study from Sweden?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist

Sweden, eh? Ground-breaking laws against rape and prostitution, but they all stand round like lemons waiting to cross the road when there's no traffic. And the booze costs a fortune. Have you got the whole thing, because I don't fancy forking out $42?

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Sweden, eh? Ground-breaking laws against rape and prostitution, but they all stand round like lemons waiting to cross the road when there's no traffic. And the booze costs a fortune. Have you got the whole thing, because I don't fancy forking out $42?
Don't remind me, I used to live there!

You're right, I've got better things to spend $42 dollars on too, but I've been sent it as part of a Pro-helmet argument and I wondered if anybody had reviewed the article, had a freebie copy or read anything related to it either positive or negative.
The dog's looking at me like he's gagging for a beer, so I might go and spend some of my $42 on him instead ....

StuartG

slower but further
Hmmm - as someone who is a statistician the abstract does not encourage me to divest myself of $42. The outstanding result according to the abstract is that childhood injuries have significantly been decreased is impressive. Remarkably more than the possible effect of helmets even according to the abstract. That's the real story. And that it has not been reflected in adult casualties. The assumption that this is due to helmets rather than the other measures (training?) the kids experienced looks a bit strained. Maybe the full report casts a different light. But it leaves me too cynical to find out.

If people feel different - do go ahead and spend the money. Frankly I find someone who has research that can arguably save lives and charges for it as a bit less than ethical. YMMV.

Canrider

Guru
Well, I've got access through the university. It's not much. Basically, child cycling injury rates have been decreasing in Sweden, especially in Kristianstad and Skaraborg. Helmet use has been increasing, as has ridership and infrastructure improvements (separated cycle lanes, etc). The authors suggest that of all those three factors, helmets are the most likely to have reduced injury rates.

They uncritically cite the Australian mandatory helmet reduction in fatalities and Rivara et al (1994) in their conclusion, but really they don't provide much, if any, support for their contention that helmets are the only (or even major) factor in reducing head injury rates. They're focused on children's injuries, which may not be indicative of the value of adult helmet wearing, and their argument also appears to be falling into the trap of Thompson and Rivara (1989), where cycle helmets somehow prevent non-head injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom