Anybody recommend a good cd player?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

I`ve just been GIVEN a separates system by a friend of mine, consisting of a Denon tuner and cassette deck, Arcam amp, Rega Planar 3 turntable, Marantz cd player, and some Linn speakers:smile:

The only weak point is the cd player which apparantly has been playing up for years, so I`m on the lookout for a replacement, what is a good bet here? I`ve never really been a huge expert on separates so not sure what to go for. Any input guys?

Thanks

Levo-Lon

Guru
Funny you should post this ,both of mine are on the way out..

what do you buy now?...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I`ve just been GIVEN a separates system by a friend of mine, consisting of a Denon tuner and cassette deck, Arcam amp, Rega Planar 3 turntable, Marantz cd player, and some Linn speakers:smile:

The only weak point is the cd player which apparantly has been playing up for years, so I`m on the lookout for a replacement, what is a good bet here? I`ve never really been a huge expert on separates so not sure what to go for. Any input guys?

Thanks

The tuner, deck and turntable is irrelevant, but the names Arcam for the amp and Linn for the speakers suggest good quality.

To get the best from those, you want something that matches them, but there's no point in exceeding their performance.

A £79 deck would be like putting Shimano Acera on a Colnago.

As a rough guess, something for around £200 might suit.

Richer Sounds is a big discount player in this market.

http://www.richersounds.com/products/hi-fi-separates/separates/cd-players-recorders-dacs

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

The tuner, deck and turntable is irrelevant, but the names Arcam for the amp and Linn for the speakers suggest good quality.

To get the best from those, you want something that matches them, but there's no point in exceeding their performance.

http://www.richersounds.com/products/hi-fi-separates/separates/cd-players-recorders-dacs
Thanks for the link.

It`s all relevant when it`s a freebie haha! I`m a huge fan of vinyl too, always have been, so it`s the turntable that is the jewel in the crown for me. I`ve been listening to mine on a 1976 Panasonic music centre for many years, and must say it does a fantastic job for something 40 years old

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

Thanks

Why not forget the CD player & rip your collection to eg FLAC format and then stream it to your system?

Much more flexible.

I have Sugden Master Class pre/power amp's feeding Dynaudio Speakers. My little Logitech Touch (no longer available) handles the streaming side of things (although it outputs through an off-board DAC before hitting the amp') and is superb.

This looks like a good streamer and I am thinking of getting it next year:

http://www.bluesound.com/en-gb/products/node-2/

Streaming is much more flexible than CD's with playlists etc.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

The Planar 3 was a really good entry level 'serious' turntable if I remember rightly.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Why not forget the CD player & rip your collection to eg FLAC format and then stream it to your system?

Much more flexible.

I have Sugden Master Class pre/power amp's feeding Dynaudio Speakers. My little Logitech Touch (no longer available) handles the streaming side of things (although it outputs through an off-board DAC before hitting the amp') and is superb.

This looks like a good streamer and I am thinking of getting it next year:

http://www.bluesound.com/en-gb/products/node-2/

Streaming is much more flexible than CD's with playlists etc.
Thanks, that`s an idea to consider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks for the link.

It`s all relevant when it`s a freebie haha! I`m a huge fan of vinyl too, always have been, so it`s the turntable that is the jewel in the crown for me. I`ve been listening to mine on a 1976 Panasonic music centre for many years, and must say it does a fantastic job for something 40 years old

By irrelevant, I meant the turntable and tuner are irrelevant to your choice of CD player because they have no impact on the quality of the CD reproduction.

But they are quality components, so will also sit well with a quality CD player.

Top Bottom