Anybody recommend a good cd player?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It's possibly because very few of us have any space in our homes any more. A friend went shopping for a baby grand piano from a shop in Camden. He's a very keep amateur pianist. He went out expecting to pay about £12 grand. The delightful but faintly sad salesman said that it would cost £6 grand because there was no demand any more. People buy keyboards that take up no room. Fortunately my friend had room. Great piano.

A bit like machine tools - when I bought my lathe I got a proper industrial lathe (sofa sized, 300kg) for considerably less money than a myford, which is more of a table top hobbyist thing. Mine was £500 but would have been £10k new, whilst the Myford is about £3k new and maybe £1500 2nd hand and is also a much inferior thing. I now have a flat and the lathe got given away. Still, my big speakers fit - and would certainly not have been "allowed" in my previous digs, even if I was allowed the lathe in the garage.

EDIT - I recall someone on fleabay selling a truly monstrous lathe - buyer collect buy it now was £200 - returnable on collection - he was giving away a £20k or £30k machine tool ! It was huge mind

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I`d have a system like that if my house was detached, but as I`m only semi detached I`ve got to behave! I`ll have my pad one day!!

I'm in a flat - just don't have to turn it up too much

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

I should add, for the avoidance of doubt, they're impressive played quietly - I expect the plaster would come down if ever I played em loud. And on my medium power amp, I usually have the volume on 1 and no more

They are 105/3 for what it's worth

Don`t get that bit???

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A bit like machine tools - when I bought my lathe I got a proper industrial lathe (sofa sized, 300kg) for considerably less money than a myford, which is more of a table top hobbyist thing. Mine was £500 but would have been £10k new, whilst the Myford is about £3k new and maybe £1500 2nd hand and is also a much inferior thing. I now have a flat and the lathe got given away. Still, my big speakers fit - and would certainly not have been "allowed" in my previous digs, even if I was allowed the lathe in the garage.

EDIT - I recall someone on fleabay selling a truly monstrous lathe - buyer collect buy it now was £200 - returnable on collection - he was giving away a £20k or £30k machine tool ! It was huge mind
AAAAAARGHH! Been there! If only I had some "##ck-off big" outbuildings.:cry:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
AAAAAARGHH! Been there! If only I had some "##ck-off big" outbuildings.:cry:

that's what I need, a house with land and outbuildings in the middle of the city !

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
If I didn't already have one, I'd definitely go for one of these. Fantastic machine: excellent sound quality, rugged build, it just reeks quality.

Top Bottom