Anybody recommend a good cd player?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
By irrelevant, I meant the turntable and tuner are irrelevant to your choice of CD player because they have no impact on the quality of the CD reproduction.

But they are quality components, so will also sit well with a quality CD player.

@Pale Rider

V.sorry, read your post wrong. Thought you was discounting the turntable on quality grounds.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Cant believe how lucky you are, Arcam, Rega and Linn components in a system given to you...wow...:music:
To be fair he`s a mate in a million, but still never expected this, had a vast collection of vinyl from the 60`s through to the 90`s all thrown in too, about 300 records, all in mint condition, I`m re-organising my house trying to find space for it all!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I don't even have a CD player these days. Just stick everything on a PC, in lossless mode, so it's fully CD quality, then play it back via a DAC of some sort.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I went for the Denon DCD720ae after trying a few, sounded the best 'bang for buck' to me. (mines the black one but if I'd known the silver one was a tenner cheaper I'd have bought that)
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...20-sil&usg=AFQjCNHAFK8FF5utJTsjFNsPmjrKqnNu4w

The Amp I use is a QUAD 44 pre with a pair of QUAD 303 poweramps (each vertically Bi-Amped to give a separate channel for the Bass and Tweeter) into B&W 602 S3s
My Thorens turntable has also been professionally modified to take a Rega RB250 arm the same as a standard Planer

Profpointy

Legendary Member
You can get some spectacularly good secondhand bargains in hifi separates on ebay. People seem to want small stuff these days and flog off their old kit for buttons.

I agree with that, especially if the domestic authorities permit big speakers. Got a pair of Kef reference speakers off fleabay for £500 - admittedly hardly beer money, but these things were £3000 new and according to some, the best speakers Kef had ever produced, They're also 4' high and about 40kg each, hence the domestic consideration, but are truly fabulous.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

I agree with that, especially if the domestic authorities permit big speakers. Got a pair of Kef reference speakers off fleabay for £500 - admittedly hardly beer money, but these things were £3000 new and according to some, the best speakers Kef had ever produced, They're also 4' high and about 40kg each, hence the domestic consideration, but are truly fabulous.
Impressive!!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Impressive!!

I should add, for the avoidance of doubt, they're impressive played quietly - I expect the plaster would come down if ever I played em loud. And on my medium power amp, I usually have the volume on 1 and no more

They are 105/3 for what it's worth

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It's possibly because very few of us have any space in our homes any more. A friend went shopping for a baby grand piano from a shop in Camden. He's a very keep amateur pianist. He went out expecting to pay about £12 grand. The delightful but faintly sad salesman said that it would cost £6 grand because there was no demand any more. People buy keyboards that take up no room. Fortunately my friend had room. Great piano.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

I should add, for the avoidance of doubt, they're impressive played quietly - I expect the plaster would come down if ever I played em loud. And on my medium power amp, I usually have the volume on 1 and no more

They are 105/3 for what it's worth
I`d have a system like that if my house was detached, but as I`m only semi detached I`ve got to behave! I`ll have my pad one day!!

Top Bottom