Anybody use the TPT round Barnsley area?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Decided to have a ride down the TPT this morning, starting at Bentley heading towards Conisbrough and Mexborough. Once I passed through Mexborough I went towards Barnsley, never been on this route before so I just followed it to the town centre then headed towards Wakefield. A nice route and was wondering if anybody on here uses any of the routes through and around Barnsley?
Any bits that I should ride for the next time?

I've only ridden the Barnsley Canal sections (at Ryhill/Wintersett), & Walton Pit, but they're nice

My use of the TPT around Barnsley has been to ride from Leeds through to/from Sheffield. The bit you rode? IMHO - probably the best bit :okay:.

The shorter bit south (sort of) to Elsecar is also fine riding - but beyond Elsecar into Sheffield is just plain confusing; the signage is shocking.

The route 62, through to Dunford Bridge eventually? Now that has always tempted me ... but I've not had reason to try it.

OP
OP
Thorn Sherpa

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
My use of the TPT around Barnsley has been to ride from Leeds through to/from Sheffield. The bit you rode? IMHO - probably the best bit :okay:.

The shorter bit south (sort of) to Elsecar is also fine riding - but beyond Elsecar into Sheffield is just plain confusing; the signage is shocking.

The route 62, through to Dunford Bridge eventually? Now that has always tempted me ... but I've not had reason to try it.

It's the first time I've been on the TPT around the Barnsley area I just made it up as I went along and decided to head towards Wakefield! When I head there again il use route 62 see where it leads me!

Venod

Eh up
I use it regularly, the bit you did I have ridden both ways numerous times, did you use the TPT going North to Wakefield or the road ? if you missed the turning its just after McDonald's and covers the section mentioned by Richard A Thackeray above.

If you go go East from Bentley you can ride to Selby then onto York on cycle path's but with a little more road riding than westbound.

Decided to have a ride down the TPT this morning, starting at Bentley heading towards Conisbrough and Mexborough. Once I passed through Mexborough I went towards Barnsley, never been on this route before so I just followed it to the town centre then headed towards Wakefield. A nice route and was wondering if anybody on here uses any of the routes through and around Barnsley?
Any bits that I should ride for the next time?

Been there many times, I used to live the other side of Swinton/Mexborough, worked for 17 years at the Norvik factory 100 yards from that sign, and if you turn left at that sign you will end up in my new stomping ground at Penistone.

Another nice diversion is to come around the lake you've passed at Manvers, past the RSPB place (nice cafe there by the way), cross the road, then take the left for Cortonwood just before going under the bridge. Straight line then (watch out for ridiculously mindless traffic crossing entrance to Cortonwood retail park) keep going straight you end up at Elsecar Heritage Centre. Two good places for coffee there.

If you want to go further I can point you the route for Penistone and Dunford Bridge etc from there. It joins up with the other route I've mentioned above to give a good 30 mile circle with Penistone as the highest point.

After Elsecar it gets a bit tangled with the Timberland Trail.
Come from Elsecar Heritage Centre round the 90 degree bend and there's a left at the pub, take that.
This road climbs up and ends at a T junction, turn left.
Next you see a road coming from the left. Across from that is a farm track going over a railway bridge, go up there (watch out for the crest as you turn, some people come over that at 60).
Look straight ahead and follow the hedge through a sprung gate and climb. Follow that down and up the stairs and into and through the woods.
There's an abandoned road/track in the woods, go straight across, you will come to a yard full of trucks. It's a right of way so I just dismount and walk through.
Cross the main road and take the path just to the left of the housing estate entrance. Climb over and down until it T junctions at a stone road. Turn right and climb.
The ruined building on the left I'm told was used in filming Kes.
Keep following the road round, under a bridge, then up to the church at Hoyland Common.

Choice #1: Turn left here and through the hotel car park to go over the road that leads to M1 J35a on the footbridge - That way you can head for Grenoside, Greno Woods or Wharncliffe Woods and head for Sheffield. This is a total bugger of navigation, I've not found the right way through yet, but still got there after a fashion.

Choice #2: Penistone - Turn right onto the road and go round the bend.
Turn left at the next junction, dropping down under the bridge and climbing. Stay on this road as it climbs through Pilley, climbing past houses, and a real sod of a climb going into woods still on tarmac.
After the sod of a climb there's a gate house on the right at the bend, with a track leading into the Wortley Hall Estate. Take that.
Gorgeous views in all directions, then climb up to the main road. Cafe on the left. Turn left onto the main road and round the chicane (watch yourself at weekends here, traffic can be challenging). At the next junction turn right and fly down the hill, Finkle Street Lane.
Brake hard at the bottom you see a TPT sign on the right, take that. Follow it round and it pops you out on the TPT.
Left for Sheffield & Wharncliffe woods. Right for the 5.5 mile climb on the TPT to Penistone, Dunford Bridge etc.

After Dunford Bridge I can get you to Holmfirth, which is as far as I've been, including a full suspension bravery test if needed.

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
After Dunford Bridge I can get you to Holmfirth, which is as far as I've been, including a full suspension bravery test if needed.

After Dunford Bridge it continues on a metalled stretch (with a stiffish climb). It then goes off-road onto a bit where only a full suss MTB could handle it. Then it goes on the old Woodhead railway line to Hadfield, near Glossop and beyond. Unless you have reason to go beyond Dunford Bridge I wouldn't bother. It becomes much hillier

What was Sheffield to Leeds like on the TPT? Been on about doing that with my mate
I really enjoyed it - well, most of it. Basically, from Leeds, it's
  • canal towpath ride to Methley (with a silly bridge with stairs :evil:, by the Thwaite Mills Museum ... I understand the museum refused to have the TPT go through their grounds on H&S grounds. Dingbats)
  • bit of well-signed quiet road, through to a disused railway, and on to Stanley; good riding.
  • the TPT winds its way through the village - I take the A642 to the bottom of the hill, and then left ...
  • through to the canal, wind your way uphill to, and through Heath (good pint in the pub on the green :smile:)
  • downhill for a bit of roadriding, then through Walton Colliery Nature Park (well worth ignoring the signage, and getting well and truly lost! I love that stretch.)
  • A sort of road dogleg - up to Walton, then path through Waterton Park on the banks of the old Barnsley Canal. Just brilliant riding; far and away my favourite stretch.
  • By Royston. Well signposted along canal, on to road, and then ex-railway lines through to round Barnsley - and on to Elsecar; great riding all the way. Though there's a wrinkle with the signage that I don't remember exactly - I'll rack my brains :smile:.
  • Elsecar to Sheffield "following the TPT" is horrible. I've got to know the area just well enough to go my own way - through Thorpe Hesley, cross the M1, and on to the B6082 to Meadowhall Station ... and the train into Sheffield is a lot more pleasant than riding Sheffield's potholed cr@p roads :cursing:.
Going the other way? Sheffield riding is horrible. Sheffield-Elsecar - make your own way! And Elsecar north to Leeds is a brilliant ride.

OP
OP
Thorn Sherpa

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm thinking of going Dunford bridge way sounds like it's out of bounds after that and I don't fancy cycling using the full susser all that way!

OP
OP
Thorn Sherpa

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Another nice diversion is to come around the lake you've passed at Manvers, past the RSPB place (nice cafe there by the way), cross the road, then take the left for Cortonwood just before going under the bridge. Straight line then (watch out for ridiculously mindless traffic crossing entrance to Cortonwood retail park) keep going straight you end up at Elsecar Heritage Centre. Two good places for coffee there.

If you want to go further I can point you the route for Penistone and Dunford Bridge etc from there. It joins up with the other route I've mentioned above to give a good 30 mile circle with Penistone as the highest point.

Yes that's the route I'm quite fancying up towards Dunford Bridge sounds a decent ride

Top Bottom