Anybody with Ultegra 6700 Shifters - I have a small favour to ask!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

therams

I have a set of these shifters and they are great. However, as my hands are small it can be hard to reach the break levers from the drops.

I know they should have shipped with the spacer things, that alow you to adjust the reach, anyway mine did not. Try as I might, I cant seem to track down a pair, Madison say that are out of stock until May! (The Specialized Shims only seem to work with the old shifters).

Anyway, if anybody has some lying around that they are not using I will gladly take them of your hands for... well name your price...

Cheers!

manalog

Über Member
Hi Therams,
I have these shifters and I also have small hands, I also tried getting the spacers fro Spez but no one seems to stock them. What I did was to use a piece of Hard Foam as spacers, it works well for me.

OP
OP
therams

therams

manalog said:
Hi Therams,
I have these shifters and I also have small hands, I also tried getting the spacers fro Spez but no one seems to stock them. What I did was to use a piece of Hard Foam as spacers, it works well for me.

Thanks, the Bike was from PlanetX so they are going to see if they have any lying around. If not I will go with the DIY route.

manalog

Über Member
therams said:
Thanks, the Bike was from PlanetX so they are going to see if they have any lying around. If not I will go with the DIY route.

If you go with the DIY route make sure the spacer is hard enough like rubber otherwise you'll find that it will just get squashed and you will not be able to reach the levers properly. I also installed a Cane Creek Crosstop Brake levers as I found that Road Bikes brakes are not that great specially in the wet. They have certainly saved my life twice!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
manalog said:
I also installed a Cane Creek Crosstop Brake levers as I found that Road Bikes brakes are not that great specially in the wet. They have certainly saved my life twice!
I don't know what was wrong with your brakes - I can easily lock the wheels on both my Campagnolo-equipped bikes using just one finger per brake lever, wet conditions or dry, and I don't have strong hands. I can't ask for more than that.

manalog

Über Member
ColinJ said:
I don't know what was wrong with your brakes - I can easily lock the wheels on both my Campagnolo-equipped bikes using just one finger per brake lever, wet conditions or dry, and I don't have strong hands. I can't ask for more than that.

Hi Colin,

I normally ride on the Hoods and Shimano Levers are chunky compare to Campagnolo. But if I ride on the drops Im fine I can lock up easily. I physically can't reach the bottom of the levers when on the hoods :becool: and its not wise to ride on the drops in Central London.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
manalog said:
Hi Colin,

I normally ride on the Hoods and Shimano Levers are chunky compare to Campagnolo. But if I ride on the drops Im fine I can lock up easily. I physically can't reach the bottom of the levers when on the hoods :becool: and its not wise to ride on the drops in Central London.
I admit that I'd need more than one finger to brake hard in the wet from the hoods!

Why can't you ride on the drops in London - is it because you like to sit up for a better view of the traffic and/or to be more visible?

Top Bottom