Anybody work with shakes / shingles ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Timber or bitumen?

Slick

Guru
[QUOTE 4909053, member: 9609"]wood ones - cedar?[/QUOTE]
I would think any spire would be topped off with lead or some other finial.

Slick

Guru
Something of this ilk.

download.jpg

DanZac

I'm not certain how they would last but I guess that once split they could be steamed / soaked and bent to just about any shape. Not sure how well they would hold the shape in the long term in the wet though.
I'd have thought @Slick had the correct solution.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Western Red Cedar is an absolute delight to work with. It smells glorious.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
[QUOTE 4909426, member: 9609"]sort of (but no where near as grand) but mine will be of much smaller sale. so the radius where the shakes come from the top and I can't think how i will work - was wondering if there was a way to coax them to be more curved shaped.

I guess they are small enough to make a steamer, but wondered if they would be quite pliable if may be soaked first. (I have never ever held one let alone worked with one)

I'm still trying to think of a plan for a weird shed ![/QUOTE]
Western Red Cedar is not at all dense so I think you could steam/soak bend it pretty easily. I've never tried it, but I would guess that it should work well.

Slick

Guru
[QUOTE 4909426, member: 9609"]sort of (but no where near as grand) but mine will be of much smaller sale. so the radius where the shakes come from the top and I can't think how i will work - was wondering if there was a way to coax them to be more curved shaped.

I guess they are small enough to make a steamer, but wondered if they would be quite pliable if may be soaked first. (I have never ever held one let alone worked with one)

I'm still trying to think of a plan for a weird shed ![/QUOTE]
I have seen some cut in a semi circle for ease of use in a tight space. The square ones are usually quite thin at the top but taper out at the bottom making what you describe quite difficult.

Slick

Guru
[QUOTE 4909448, member: 9609"]so are they a very slight wedge type shape ?[/QUOTE]
Yes, quite definitely.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I've done a fair bit of steaming with wood and softwood doesn't take to it usually: it needs more steam than hardwood to bend and then often fails because it gets too soft. Cedar might work but it's an expensive risk to take with a valuable product. Very few people make cedar shakes in the uk, but you can buy imported. To make a curved shake you need oak with curved grain. No steaming required and lasts a lifetime. Oh, and also a good deal of skill, which takes a lifetime.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'm assuming the grain goes top to bottom, so trying to bend them sideways is likely to split em isn't it? Maybe you can split em lenghtways into narrower slivers and create a taper as you might with a barrel

Top Bottom