Anyone affected by the new expanded ULEZ zone and how do you feel about it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

As a resident of rural Scotland I haven't been into London for over thirty years. But, should I happen to suffer a hissy-fit and decide to drive there, what do I have to do?

You have to look on the transport for London website to see where it will cost you extra to drive, then if you think you have been in the area you have to pay them, they will not tell you if you have, they will not refund you if you haven't, but they will send a demand for extra money if you don't all within 48 hours

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This happened to me a couple of months ago, I was lambasted on here for saying I felt cheated that I had inadvertently entered the ULEZ whilst taking my nephew back home, bearing in mind I hadn't driven into London for 20+ years, I was dropping hime off outside the ULEZ but I didn't realise by taking the road I did I would for around a minute be inside the ULEZ. Lesson learnt, drive down the same road the other way & not drop inside the ULEZ, however probably now it will be included in the new zone.

With regards to Manchester again another rare journey on Monday night saw me use the M60/M56 as I went past Stockport towards Chester, would that bit of road be included & how are drivers going to be informed?

Is that not part of the whole issue, I raised it before on the other thread, a city in Italy made a rule that you could only enter the city on specific days if your car registration was an odd number, other days an even number, all that happened was the rich went out & bought another car for each person in the family.

With the Manchester one, if you don't come off the motorway network you are OK, but come off at any junction and you'll be charged - commercial vehicles mainly.

Last edited:

Baldy

Über Member
You have to look on the transport for London website to see where it will cost you extra to drive, then if you think you have been in the area you have to pay them, they will not tell you if you have, they will not refund you if you haven't, but they will send a demand for extra money if you don't all within 48 hours

Oh, all open and transparent, then!

gbb

Legendary Member
The way things are going, it might as well spread to many cities.
Peterborough is becoming a nightmare In rush hour or any weekend, all the different retail parks that have sprung up on former industrial land have become nightmares to get in and more so, out of. There are just too many cars, it took me 40minutes to get out of one last weekend, my brother took30 minutes trying to get out the hospital , its happening more and more, gridlock, the planners want shooting but ultimately, until 'we' get people out of cars more, its all pretty hopeless
Too may people, too many cars, poor infrastructure. God help us if we were all driving cars with emission standards of the 70s. We all complain about modern cars and their technology, imagine it if we didn't!!!!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
As a resident of rural Scotland I haven't been into London for over thirty years. But, should I happen to suffer a hissy-fit and decide to drive there, what do I have to do?

If, for some reason, you cannot resist the urge to visit:

First, check your vehicle registration on the web site, your vehicle may be compliant (both mine are), so, no problem, business as usual.

If you vehicle is not compliant, either pay the charge, hire a compliant vehicle, buy a compliant vehicle, or, go by train.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If, for some reason, you cannot resist the urge to visit:

First, check your vehicle registration on the web site, your vehicle may be compliant (both mine are), so, no problem, business as usual.

If you vehicle is not compliant, either pay the charge, hire a compliant vehicle, buy a compliant vehicle, or, go by train.
Don't forget the congestion charge.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Anything that reduces the amount of cars on the road can only be a good thing.

Gwylan

Veteran
The working, striving class, being had over again!

Just watched Dr Zhivago, it wasn't all wrong.
Where is the girl I went to see that film with?

This happened to me a couple of months ago, I was lambasted on here for saying I felt cheated that I had inadvertently entered the ULEZ whilst taking my nephew back home, bearing in mind I hadn't driven into London for 20+ years, I was dropping hime off outside the ULEZ but I didn't realise by taking the road I did I would for around a minute be inside the ULEZ. Lesson learnt, drive down the same road the other way & not drop inside the ULEZ, however probably now it will be included in the new zone.

With regards to Manchester again another rare journey on Monday night saw me use the M60/M56 as I went past Stockport towards Chester, would that bit of road be included & how are drivers going to be informed?

Is that not part of the whole issue, I raised it before on the other thread, a city in Italy made a rule that you could only enter the city on specific days if your car registration was an odd number, other days an even number, all that happened was the rich went out & bought another car for each person in the family.

They did it in Greece - Athens I think
it ended up increasing pollution because people who would normally commute in their new modern car now bought a second cheap - and therefore older and more polluting car for the other days
As a result most days there were the same number of cars on the road but half of them were older then previously

Never underestimate the potential of the human mind to throw a spanner in the best of intentions

CXRAndy

Guru
I think it's a great step forward to forcing folk initially away from older vehicles, but then reducing traffic in cities. All the other major cities have been dragging their feet re introducing clean ULEZ in and around cities.

Top Bottom