Anyone affected by the new expanded ULEZ zone and how do you feel about it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Yes - but they use their brakes much less because they use the regen instead for a lot of slowing down

But IC you engine brake as well, and with much less inertia, no?

CXRAndy

Guru

I drive 75 miles every morning. In that whole journey I often never touch my brakes . This includes 5 miles twisty country lanes, 50 miles fast dual carriageway, 20 A road.

You just don't use brakes unless for emergency situation with an EV

On the other hand I see all the ICE vehicles, dabbing their brakes on the dual carriageway, coming upto junctions, and stop start in town

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
On the other hand I see all the ICE vehicles, dabbing their brakes on the dual carriageway, coming upto junctions, and stop start in town

To be fair a lot of drivers accelerate up to the car in front, next light, next roundabout then brake. Rather than not accelerating to start with. Some drivers anticipation is appalling.

Baldy

Über Member
To be fair a lot of drivers accelerate up to the car in front, next light, next roundabout then brake. Rather than not accelerating to start with. Some drivers anticipation is appalling.

Some will accelerate past a truck weighing 44 tonnes pull in front of the truck and then slam on the brakes. Don't ask why, I've no idea. As you say some drivers anticipation is appallingly.

Alex321

Veteran

Not nearly the same.

You need to use the brakes for slowing FAR less in an EV. Regenerative braking does much more to slow you down tan so-called "engine braking" in an ICE.

You actually apply the brake pedal, but a lot of the slowing force comes from the regenerative braking (often over 70%), rather than from the brake pads acting on the discs.

They reckon brake pads on a pure EV last 4-5 times as long as hose on a pure ICEV. Hybrids come in between that.

And there is also the fact that engine braking in an ICEV is still completely wasting the energy, while regenerative braking is recovering some of it as charge back into the battery.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Not nearly the same.

You need to use the brakes for slowing FAR less in an EV. Regenerative braking does much more to slow you down tan so-called "engine braking" in an ICE.

You actually apply the brake pedal, but a lot of the slowing force comes from the regenerative braking (often over 70%), rather than from the brake pads acting on the discs.

They reckon brake pads on a pure EV last 4-5 times as long as hose on a pure ICEV. Hybrids come in between that.

And there is also the fact that engine braking in an ICEV is still completely wasting the energy, while regenerative braking is recovering some of it as charge back into the battery.

So brakes will last about 160,000 miles of driving, cool

CXRAndy

Guru
Its not much less use of brakes, its hardly ever on an EV, we are talking maybe once a week. We do easily 750 miles per week in our EVs, both Nissan and Tesla have regen braking to pull up to stop. I can approach junctions stop without touching the brakes

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
To get back in Topic of ULEZ zones , my old neighbour has had to get rid of the Honda CRV I sold to her 6 and bit years ago . Absolutely nothing wrong with it , mechanically . Very sound car with high mileage but as she drives into Glasgow city occasionally , it’s a no go now or will be next year I believe . Seems a waste , so she’s bought another car that’s compliant.

Top Bottom