Anyone affected by the new expanded ULEZ zone and how do you feel about it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
My daughter and her partner live in the ULEZ in N London and regularly have to take my young granddaughter to Great Ormond Street Hospital. Either a rather chaotic public transport journey with pushchair and a young kid who is upset and not looking forward to the visit, or £27.50 plus fuel and parking.

They know it's their fault because their car is a 14 year old diesel but it doesn't mean it isn't a pain. They use bike or public transport for work, shopping is mostly on foot or online, and they use their car mainly on journeys involving travel outside the London area or, if they do use the car inside ULEZ, try and save multiple errands/trips for one day.

with parking could easily double that. Finding parking is a pain and rarely conveniently located.

Bolt or Uber have their uses. Can't see how it would be dearer and they are all ULEZ compatible i.e.less poluting.

I’ve only driven into London three times in my life.

The first was many years ago before the congestion charge and ULEZ zones were introduced. The second time took me to the Blackheath area of London and was outside of the current ULEZ.

The last time I entered both the current ULEZ and the congestion charge area. The hotel I was staying at was just outside of the CC area but parking costs, for the time I was staying there, were several times more expensive than those inside the CC zone. I save quite a bit by parking inside the CC zone and timing things so I only had to pay one congestion charge.

My car meets the ULEZ emissions standards so the change in area from next year won’t have any impact on me.

Sallar55

Veteran
AN XC90 is £60,000+ new, a second hand one seems to be around £30k unless you are looking at a very, very old one.
They say an XC90 has a range of 18 miles. To be fair they should charge the difference in total range. They did a survey of electric hybrid cars and most of the charging cables were still in the sealed plastic pack. Just do away with the tax dodges and charge according to the weight , heavier car equals more energy used.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
AN XC90 is £60,000+ new, a second hand one seems to be around £30k unless you are looking at a very, very old one.

I'm thinking 2007, so not very old. I don't know where people get the money for, or even think that £60k for a car is a sensible option, that's mortgage territory...

CXRAndy

Guru
I'm thinking 2007, so not very old. I don't know where people get the money for, or even think that £60k for a car is a sensible option, that's mortgage territory...

That's a tiny mortgage, maybe a top up arrangement. House prices are £300k plus these days

ONS

The average UK house price was £296,000 in August 2022, which is £36,000 higher than this time last year. Average house prices increased over the year to £316,000 (14.3%) in England, to £220,000 in Wales (14.6%), to £195,000 in Scotland (9.7%) and to £169,000 in Northern Ireland (9.6%).19 Oct 2022

icowden

Veteran
Fair enough. EVs haven't been mainstream enough for there to be 15 year old vehicles with 100k on the clock available on the second hand market. Cheapest second hand estate I could find was 19k.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
I wonder how many people realise that the air quality is far worse inside a public transport vehicle, especially in the underground, so pushing people from cars to those modes could be damaging the health of a significant number of people.

I note you say could. This extension hopes to improve the air quality in those areas ALL day. Travel is Just a part of your day (unless a driver of course) and not everyone has to travel. The benefits will be For the many.

for the rest, another argument for cycling in town.

I note you say could. This extension hopes to improve the air quality in those areas ALL day. Travel is Just a part of your day (unless a driver of course) and not everyone has to travel. The benefits will be For the many.

for the rest, another argument for cycling in town.

Based on overall exposure, that's debatable as the levels in the tube in particular are very much higher than anything roadside, even in London.

tom73

Guru
I wonder how many people realise that the air quality is far worse inside a public transport vehicle, especially in the underground, so pushing people from cars to those modes could be damaging the health of a significant number of people.

What peer reviewed paper are you using to base this on ?

PK99

Legendary Member
I'm not, but my nephew is.

He lives in Kent and drives an old, ultra reliable very fuel efficient diesel estate. Has aa a young family and good, stable job but is not flush with cash.

He works at Biggin Hill. JUST inside the new ULEZ.

He will have no option but to sell the diesel to someone local and buy a compliant car. The Diesel Estate will continue to be driven round Kent, cental and outer London will get no benefit from his change, but he will be £000's out of pocket.

Top Bottom