Anyone been Cycling in Tenerife ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boomerado

Im going to be taking a weeks holiday this April in Tenerife and have looked into taking my bike but would it not be cheaper to hire a bike once i arrive ?

Second question is ...... Has anyone been to Tenerife and hired a bike upon arrival ? I`m stopping near Playa De Las Americas.

I looked into buying a bike box to take my bike with me but the boxes are rather expensive and then there is the extra carrage charges from the flight company.

Has anyone rented a bike in tenerife and can anyone recommend a company out there ? I had a look on the net but the only bikes they have are Mountain bikes and i`m looking at a road bike.

Cheers

Boomer

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hey Boomer - you didn't search very hard! I was going to recommend a company and searched on Google for tenerife road bike hire to see if they were easy to find - they are the first result!

OP
OP
Boomerado

Boomerado

Hey Boomer - you didn't search very hard! I was going to recommend a company and searched on Google for tenerife road bike hire to see if they were easy to find - they are the first result!

Hi Colin
Thanks for the response, i was mainly looking for recommendations. I did a search and found a few but a recommendation is always better. So you can recommend Tenerife-Training for cycle hire ? the website looks well presented and friendly and the fact they deliver and collect is brilliant !!

Mount Teide here i come !

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Colin
Thanks for the response, i was mainly looking for recommendations. I did a search and found a few but a recommendation is always better. So you can recommend Tenerife-Training for cycle hire ? the website looks well presented and friendly and the fact they deliver and collect is brilliant !!

Mount Teide here i come !
I've not used them myself but I have a mate who lives out there and I want to visit him some time so I was looking into bike hire a while back for the same reasons that you are. I came across Tenerife-Training in a few places with people saying good things about them.

The owner posts under the forum name synchronicity on BikeRadar (that links to his posts).

I think my mate exchanged a few messages with him on one forum or another. He was very annoyed at the time that he'd driven a couple of hire bikes across the island only for two twats to say that they'd "changed their minds" and no longer wanted to hire them!

As for Teide - my mate is a skinny climber and he says the climb is genuinely awesome, and as for the descent... :smile:

I don't dare go out there until I've lost 3 stone and got lots of miles in because that climb would kill me as I am now. My mate lives at about 100 m altitude and the road goes up to nearly 2,400 m - that's some climb!

frank9755

Cyclist
It's hilly!
I've just come back from Gran Canaria (which was absolutely wonderful cycling - but off topic). One of the people I rode with was a skinny Irish guy who used to leave me way behind on the climbs (of which there were many). He said that he went to Tenerife last year and it was even hillier. He made the mistake of having a full double (53/39) and said it took him three days to find a way to get out of town (Puerto de la Cruz)!

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
We went to Tenerife in September last year... I was contemplating hiring a bike out there until I saw the 'Great Mount Teide Challange' here http://www.cyclingtenerife.com/Routes & Profiles.html and realised that practically everywhere is uphill (or at least, seems like it).

We stayed in Los Christianos at the top of what is affectionately known as 'cardiac hill'. It was tough enough walking up it - cycling would have been madness.

Good luck !!!

aran20

Yep I've cycled up Teide from Playas dos Americas... 3 days on the trot when we visited Tenerife whilst serving in the Royal Navy on HMS ILLUSTRIOUS. A real challenge, takes about 21/2 to 3 hours without a stop to get to the summit, which ressembles Mars by the way. There are a few cafe's on the way up, so if you feel the need to have a break, dont worry. When you get to the summit, keep going until you see the Cable car. There is a summit height sign for the 'proof of ride' photograph.

Takes about 45 mins to descend, this hurts as much as the climb, because of the concentration and sharp harpin bends you have to Navigate... Fantastic scenery and stupendisly great fun though.

Im going to be taking a weeks holiday this April in Tenerife and have looked into taking my bike but would it not be cheaper to hire a bike once i arrive ?

Second question is ...... Has anyone been to Tenerife and hired a bike upon arrival ? I`m stopping near Playa De Las Americas.

I looked into buying a bike box to take my bike with me but the boxes are rather expensive and then there is the extra carrage charges from the flight company.

Has anyone rented a bike in tenerife and can anyone recommend a company out there ? I had a look on the net but the only bikes they have are Mountain bikes and i`m looking at a road bike.

Cheers

Boomer

Hi Boomer

I live round the corner from you in Clayton-le-Moors.

You are asking all the questions for me because I believe my bike needs a holiday out there.

Rode with ColinJ & a group of 10 on a 100 miler to the coast on Sunday - good crack.

Get back to me if you want a ride round our glorious Ribble Valley

Gordon

Top Bottom